Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Would Jesus Do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

Since my husband's incarceration, I have been going back to church more regularly and actually admitted to friends and family that I was wanting to rejoin. This is a genuine feeling in my heart. I found a home church in my community. We have no family here, so it is nice to be part of such a welcoming church family. My children love Sunday school. I'm remembering and enjoying singing along with hymnals I hadn't even hummed since I was a teenager.

My soon to be ex is not Christian and openly mocks anyone who isn't. He would have made my marriage to him even more unbearable if I hadn't just gone along with him.

What bothers me is family who, while I was not Christian, even after my husband's arrest, wouldn't give me the time of day and are now suddenly wanting to help and to befriend me again. Just because I publicly declared a change of faith, now I'm no longer persona non grata.

I know that my ex wasn't a true representation of all of the wonderful, kind non-Christians I have met over the years, and I know my fairweather family aren't acting in accordance with Christ's teachings, but I also know my judgement of their behaviours wouldn't be Christlike.

I love my family and am grateful for their help and support, but I don't understand why it only returned when I put on a Christian hat.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
If your ex isn't Christian, why does he mock others that aren't as well?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Follow your heart.

Quoting Anonymous:

Since my husband's incarceration, I have been going back to church more regularly and actually admitted to friends and family that I was wanting to rejoin. This is a genuine feeling in my heart. I found a home church in my community. We have no family here, so it is nice to be part of such a welcoming church family. My children love Sunday school. I'm remembering and enjoying singing along with hymnals I hadn't even hummed since I was a teenager.

My soon to be ex is not Christian and openly mocks anyone who isn't. He would have made my marriage to him even more unbearable if I hadn't just gone along with him.

What bothers me is family who, while I was not Christian, even after my husband's arrest, wouldn't give me the time of day and are now suddenly wanting to help and to befriend me again. Just because I publicly declared a change of faith, now I'm no longer persona non grata.

I know that my ex wasn't a true representation of all of the wonderful, kind non-Christians I have met over the years, and I know my fairweather family aren't acting in accordance with Christ's teachings, but I also know my judgement of their behaviours wouldn't be Christlike.

I love my family and am grateful for their help and support, but I don't understand why it only returned when I put on a Christian hat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this
It's hard to trust those who have hurt and deserted you in the past. I wouldn't say you're judging them. I'd just say you're having a hard time forgiving and trusting them. That's normal basic instincts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Quoting gwebkeijmmm:

If your ex isn't Christian, why does he mock others that aren't as well?

I typed that wrong. :) What I meant was anyone who isn't non Christian like him. And it's because he's a jerk.

donnag013
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Remember that you are going to church to visit God. Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. You will always find true acceptance in God.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM
2 moms liked this

teri4lance
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this
You already know why. They are fair weather family. Hypocrits. Don't expect much from them because their love is conditional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:48 AM
ia it possible that your family's change of heart had as much to do with the fact that you have cast the disrespectful influence out of your life? you choose to be with someone who you are more saying was contrary to your own beliefs... maybe they felt they couldnt act supportive towards you because your own choices made them feel it was unlikely to be appreciated.

you may be more open to them and their help now that he is no longer pulling strings.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Maybe...except that they weren't supportive during a long separation a couple of years ago, and waited until several months after he went to jail and conveniently around the time of my change of faith to be supportive. Unless, maybe, they had to be sure he was completely out of my life.

Quoting Roo1234:

ia it possible that your family's change of heart had as much to do with the fact that you have cast the disrespectful influence out of your life? you choose to be with someone who you are more saying was contrary to your own beliefs... maybe they felt they couldnt act supportive towards you because your own choices made them feel it was unlikely to be appreciated.

you may be more open to them and their help now that he is no longer pulling strings.

Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not saying that is the case.. but sometimes things aren't as clear cut and easy as we would like them to seem.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe...except that they weren't supportive during a long separation a couple of years ago, and waited until several months after he went to jail and conveniently around the time of my change of faith to be supportive. Unless, maybe, they had to be sure he was completely out of my life.

Quoting Roo1234:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)