Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did I separate them too soon?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

My two DDs used to share a room, but my older DD (6) is heading to 1st grade and wanted her own room. Now my younger DD (2) won't sleep a full night in her room. She always snuggles up next to big sister or me at some point during the night. We have a 3 bedroom. DS is an infant and his bed is in my room. My school age DD doesn't want to share a room anymore but I don't think it's a good idea to put DS in with younger DD. My sister who is four years older than me shared a room with me until I was about 8 or 9. Later, in a different house, I shared a room with my 13yo brother when I was 16. I know some states have laws about siblings of opposite genders sharing a room, but I think that's when they're older. My concern of DD (2) and DS sharing a room is more that he's still young enough that she might hurt him without meaning to. She seems to need someone in the same room with her for some reason. I don't necessarily mind cosleeping her while she copes with the change, but if all three kids got into that habit my small bed would be pretty crowded. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
poshkat
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Why would she hurt him?
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this
children can sometimes love to much, and don't have the ability to think ahead. My girls are 19 months apart and my pediatrician told me at the baby's first well visit to never leave them alone unsupervised. the older one could try to pick the baby up, or comfort it in some other way that could be dangerous, it wouldn't have to be malicious.

Quoting poshkat:

Why would she hurt him?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Like ff-princess said, I'm just worried that she'd try to pick him up or climb into his bed with him and hurt him accidentally. Her older sister used to try to pick her up when she cried. Kids don't think that maybe they might hurt the baby if they accidentally drop them or something. When we're all in the same room, DD (2) will try to give her brother his bottle when he doesn't need it and I have to tell her, "No, he's sleeping, he's done with his bottle." and she'll argue with me. Her concern is cute but scary if they were alone together.

Quoting poshkat:

Why would she hurt him?

andersongirl562
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have kept the two girls in a room together and given the baby his own room..I have five kids and we have my DD's 15 an5 share a room, DS 11 and DD 9 share a room and DS 13 has his own room...because this is how it works out best for all kids in our family.... our kids are close and for the most part like sharing with a sibling until about a year ago we had the three girls in a room and the two boys in a room but all five always ended up in the girls room everynight lol our older son has special needs and now just does better with his own room

poshkat
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Why don't you keep him in your room a little longer until you're sure she understands that she can't play with him like a doll? How old is he?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM

He's 5mos

Quoting poshkat:
Why don't you keep him in your room a little longer until you're sure she understands that she can't play with him like a doll? How old is he?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)