Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why i Never Served 'Dessert'

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

it's just a bribe to get kids to eat their dinner...and a set up for tantrums, too

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unspecified42
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Maybe for some kids, but I've never used it as a bribe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeautifulFey
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM

o.0

mommy2zbg
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I won't make a dessert and if I do it will be cookies later on closer to bedtime or just those store bought cookies. I don't have them available just at any time though.

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Okay - did it work?

We do generally have dessert and I don't put stipulations on it.  My kids are told they finish their dinner or they go to bed.  It's rare that I even have to tell them that.

Maybe you should try involving your kids in food prep more - allow them to choose veggies they like, meat they want - all within healthy guidelines.

princessputter
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:23 AM

we have desserts at holiday dinners.. I bake once sometimes twice a week... they are called treats in my house.. they can be eaten anytime.. the idea at meal times.. is they fill up on good foods

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

yup....and, i am a chef, and the kids ALWAYS helped out in the kitchen...dessert was and is not a priority at mealtimes.  i never had to keep repeating, 'finish your dinner or no dessert'

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

Okay - did it work?

We do generally have dessert and I don't put stipulations on it.  My kids are told they finish their dinner or they go to bed.  It's rare that I even have to tell them that.

Maybe you should try involving your kids in food prep more - allow them to choose veggies they like, meat they want - all within healthy guidelines.

teri4lance
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Lol only if you use it as a goal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenaree
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I serve dessert when we have friends over for dinner but it is not a part of everyday dinner. I don't think it's healthy to teach kids that it's expected to get a treat at the end of every meal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM

or teach them bad eating habits. i always used to get dessert and that back fired big time as i got older.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

exactly my point

Quoting jenaree:

I serve dessert when we have friends over for dinner but it is not a part of everyday dinner. I don't think it's healthy to teach kids that it's expected to get a treat at the end of every meal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)