Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EDIT** I can't let her be thinner than me!!! My sister is losing weight...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 152 Replies
I feel like a total jerk, but I'm completely jealous that my sister is losing weight. Don't get me wrong, I love her and I do want her to be healthy and happy- But whenever she goes on a diet/weight loss kick, I immediately worry that she might be successful and could end up thinner than me! Ugh.

Just to be fully honest, I am working really hard to lose the weight I put on with my last pregnancy. I am 5'4" and have 30 lbs to lose. I am working out and eating super healthy, and my 9 week old is breastfeeding around the clock. My sister is maybe 5'6" and weighed a good 40 to 50 pounds more than I did the day I delivered my third baby (which would have put her at least around 250 lbs). She yo-yo diets often so I actually hope for her sake, this time it works for her.

I wouldn't discourage her, and I want to be supportive, but I react like this every time she starts to lose weight! I would never tell her, I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings. I feel bad, but I can't help but feel jealous.

Help! Do you ever feel this way about a sibling's success???

**EDIT:

Just to add, it really is normal for some sibling rivalry and even some jealousy to exist between siblings. I love my sister and want nothing more than for her to be happy, whether some here believe it or not!!

And for some of those making replies saying to do something about it, thanks to the ones that have been nice about it! I am working very hard to lose what I need to lose, and am fully comitted to do what *I* need to do to get back in shape and to be strong and healthy, no matter what my sister does! (:
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM

o_O

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Just let it motivate you to continue working on your own healthy weight. You honestly can't help your emotions, so don't feel too bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
You need to work on your emotions and feelings... instead of feeling jelouse why dont u ask her to do work outs with u. Motivate each other
blessed107
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Serious issues.

Punchyobuns
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I have a brother. But he has always been stick-thin and I've always been overweight. Like to the point where he eats ice cream after every meal and can't gain weight. 

Anyway, no need to compete with your sister. Have you guys always been competitive or is it just this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM

No, I don't have any siblings but my mom feels that way towards me. She was overweight when i was a kid, i was naturally super, super skinny. then her and my dad divorced and she lost a TON of weight, like too much weight. Then I got pregnant and ppd and AFTER pregnancy I gained 25 lbs so gained a total of like 60lbs? I was overweight for like 3-4 years and she gradually started putting on more weight but never "overweight" well over the last year, ive lost 45lbs and am now a FEW pounds lighter then my mom and she makes it clear that it really bothers her. Doesn't bother me either way, I just want her to be healthy and happy with herself.

niki_hubbard
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Um.. no. My sister and I tend to lose or gain at the same time. Even though she lives two states away! We are proud of each other when they do good things.. we left being competitive in childhood.

I noticed you are bf, be careful about cutting calories! My dd was 4  months, and I cut down to 1900 calories a day, and stop producing milk. Took a week to get my supply back, after only a week of dieting.

tigerlily86
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol, I have five sisters, all of varying weights and heights, and I hate that now I'm one of the fatties. Lol I have never been the thinnest, NEVER will be, but I don't want to be the fattest. So I've been working out and cutting back in my eating. I don't get jealous of any of them, but I do hate going out with my girl friends and being over looked as the"fat friend" in the group. It's up to me to change it.
MamaRae85
by *you're on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I hae felt this way about my sisters losing weight, but it was never about wishing that they were unsuccessful, just being jealous that I WASN'T as successful. Did that make sense? lol

I grew out of it pretty quickly. It's a matter of knowing that your sister is getting healthier and that the only thing stopping you is you. I know you wouldn't say anything to her, but just feeling that way is damaging. If you think it'll help, make it a little (secret) competition. See how long it takes you to lose your weight, and then you can encourage her and celebrate with her when she hits her own milestones. =)

I know it's frustrating. My sisters, even when overweight, are curvy and gorgeous, while I'm lumpy. lol I just try to be compassionate of the fact that more than likely, they feel the same way when I lose a bit of weight.

Good luck in your own weight loss!

j3st3r
by Jedi on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

It makes me sad that my youngest sister is thinner than me, because I believe it's due to drugs.  My second youngest sister is thin, but she works her ass off for it and I'm proud of her.  I have just started weight watchers and will be going to her for advice.  I'm 37 pounds over my goal weight.

Focus on you, momma. Not her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)