Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Firefighters watch house burn over $75 unpaid fee

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 209 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is an old article but I want to get people thoughts on it.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/07/9272989-firefighters-let-home-burn-over-75-fee-again?lite

SOUTH FULTON, Tenn. -- Firefighters stood by and watched a Tennessee house burn to the ground earlier this week because the homeowners didn't pay the annual subscription fee for fire service.

"You could look out my mom's trailer and see the trucks sitting at a distance," Vicky Bell, the homeowner, said.

For Bell, that sight was almost as disturbing as the fire itself.

"We just wished we could've gotten more out," she said. 

It's the second time in two years firefighters in the area have watched a house burn because of unpaid fees. Last year, Gene Cranick of Obion County and his family lost all of their possessions in a house fire, along with three dogs and a cat, because the fire fee wasn't paid.

People in the city of South Fulton have fire protection, but those in the surrounding county do not unless they pay a $75 annual fee.

The city makes no exceptions.

"There's no way to go to every fire and be able to keep up the manpower, the equipment, and just the funding for the fire department," said South Fulton Mayor David Crocker.

Crocker said that by now, everyone should know about the city's fire policy.

"After the last situation, I would hope that everybody would be well aware of the rural fire fees, this time," he said.

In a nearby county, rural homeowners can purchase a $110 subscription to cover fires, but they can also pay on the spot for fire protection: $2,200 for the first two hours firefighters are on the scene and $1,100 for each additional hour, according to dailytimes.com.

Bell and her boyfriend said they were aware of the policy, but thought a fire would never happen to them.

The city has received a lot of criticism over its policy, but has refused to change it.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM
3 moms liked this
That is pathetic of the fire department. So glad I live in NYC and have FDNY.
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM
5 moms liked this

I certainly understand it from a business sense, these homeowners knew better. But, from a human standpoint, I can't imagine standing by and watching this happen and doing nothing.

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
How can anyone with a heart just sit and watch a home burn to the ground?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:29 AM
7 moms liked this
Well I guess the couple should've paid the annual fee.
summerlove3677
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

that is insane!! so first they waste time checking to see if the people have paid before they act?  that should be illegal

metalmomma86
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM
all for the almighty dollar

MaNdYbEaR2010
by *Manda* on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Wow. That's just sad.
Punchyobuns
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Interesting.

Shaken1976
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM
What happens if someone is inside?
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm on the fence with this. I think its beyond heartless to watch a house burn down because of 75 bucks BUT on the other hand the man knew the risks and fire departments have to have money to run.

I think a better system needs to be out in place, but I haven't a clue what would be the best course of action.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)