Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can your 5 yr old...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 100 Replies

Button his/her own pants or tie their shoes?
I've been working with DS5 (turned 5 last month) for MONTHS to get him to button his own pants or at least try, he absolutely refuses to even try he'll act like he's trying for a second say its too hard and he can't.  I think part of the problem is he is with his dads family 1/2 time and they do literally everything for him and don't make or allow him do anything on his own (even painting they "help" hold the brush and guide it for him, get him dressed, etc >.<) so he tries to get the same thing at my house.
I didn't even realize they expect them to be able to tie shoes going into kinder! I know, not  a huge thing, we've been focusing more on letters and numbers (mainly writing them) so if he can't tie his shoes going into kinder, no biggy, I think all his shoes are still velcro except one pair lol 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM

he can button his pants or anything else but not tie his shoes. it's not something to be expected to know going in to kindergarten here...they teach him in school. i've tried but he has no interest in trying. so ill continue to try and hope that once they start working on it in school, he'll be more into it.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

my 4.5 yo can button his pants, but not tie shoes.  he will only wear crocs, and has never had to. 

NoahandEliza
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Ds could dress himself pretty easily, but couldn't tie his shoes. He just wouldn't try. Dh literally sat with him for a good two hours one day until he finally got it. Even still, at 8, they have to be double knotted because he can never get the strings tight enough.
Abby.N.Amys.Mom

She can do her pants but not her shoes.  Have been working with her on the shoes, but she doesn't like tennis shoes, so she doesn't wear them a lot.

ajdahd13
My 6 year old cant tie. We haven't had shoes that tie to work on it. Lol. She has some now so she doesn't have a choice.

She can usually button her pants.
goddiddlyumshis
He can button his pants and half ass tie his shoes, we're working on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Yes my children could. I ran a home daycare. Children were taught those skills early on. Made my job easier.

asmalltowngirl
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:54 AM
My dd can do both, but would rather get someone else to do it for her. She spent her whole year at pre-k letting her teacher tie her shoes o.O
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Yes he could button his pants at the age but he is almost 7 and still can't tie his shoes. I try and try but he just doesn't get it.
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:54 AM
My son could tie his shoes at 5 but couldn't always button his pants until 7 LOL. It was just too hard.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)