Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

adderall for anxiety.

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 5 Replies

I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and a little bit of Social Phobia.

I have tried SSRIs in the past and they don't do anything for it.

I do see a therapist and have for a few years - not just for the anxiety but also for eating issues and life stressors in general. 

Overall, I am very "uptight" and I have an extremely short trigger. I am always on edge. I'm sensitive to sound, sight, and touch - constantly in a heightened sate of awareness.

In noisy, chaotic environments I don't feel in control and I tend to shut down. My thoughts race and I over-analyze the situation. I feel overwhelmed. When plans change, I get anxious and my mind has a difficult time functioning. I like my schedule and routine and when they are disturbed or altered, I don't deal well.

When my head feels busy and full of "noise" either literally or figuratively, I feel incredibly frazzled and out of sorts. It's like I need life and things to slow down and be still - which generally isn't possible or realistic.

My therapist has recommended medication and it is something I am considering. I have taken Adderall in the past (that wasn't prescribed to me) and it worked (I have taken it maybe 7-10 times for "social situations" in which I was feeling anxious and stressed). It calmed me down and helped me focus. It didn't make me more anxious, irritable, or "excited". 

I have read online that some people take Adderall for Social Anxiety, but obviously it's not the standard of treatment for it.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with taking Adderall for anxiety or any ideas or insight.

I honestly don't want to take it (or anything) everyday. I would like to have something that I can take when I am feeling overly anxious or stressed - which would probably be a few times a month.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Adderall would probably make your anxiety worse. Way worse when you are coming 'down' from it. Do you live in a state where marijuana is legal? It would be a more natural way to decrease your anxiety. If you are worried about inhaling the smoke, a vaporizor is odorless and harmless to your lungs. 

melner18
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:26 AM

The times i have taken it, it hasn't made my anxiety worse (which from what I understand is odd). 

Marijuana is not legal where I live. I've never tried it so I can't say if it would work or not.

melner18
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Bump.
karlie2
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Your symptoms sound very much like mine.
I can't take traditional anxiety meds either because of really bad side effects.
I have considered trying adderal as well but haven't yet.
No advice. Good luck.
melner18
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Thanks. I would like a little "relief" from the anxiety. The anxiety is constant, but it's manageable for the most part. It's for those moments and situations that aren't manageable that I would like a little something to help calm me and keep me focused.

Quoting karlie2:

Your symptoms sound very much like mine.

I can't take traditional anxiety meds either because of really bad side effects.

I have considered trying adderal as well but haven't yet.

No advice. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)