Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I spank the kids I babysit for ...... and the parents....UPDATE TO CLEAR UP A FEW THINGS

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you take your child to a daycare that spanked them?

Options:

Yes

No

You are crazy

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1046

View Results

Update: I had alot of the same questions so here are a few answers...I am not licensed as I am not required to be in the state I live in...it is only illegal to spank children if you are licensed, I have consulted an attorney. Out of the five children in my care two have been here for three years, two have been here for two years and one has been here a year and a half. I have these children for 50 to 70 hours a week, most weekends, sometimes overnight, and often work 6 to 7 days a week. I got lucky having today off. If these children are going to spend that much time with my family then I am going to treat them like family. I have them when they are sick so their parents dont have to take time off work, I have taken them to appointments, and I take them to do fun things like the movies, swimming, the park, museums, and zoos. Of the five children I have only spanked the two that have been here for three years. The last time I spanked one of them it was two weeks ago and that was actually done because his mother told me to...he threw a metal car at his little brothers head and cut it open. His brother hasnt been spanked in several months. So no I am not an angry violent person who wants to spank small children. I am a person who provides care in an environment where the children are treated as my own are. I attend these kids birthday parties, spend time with them and their families just as they spend time with mine. I know all of the parents fairly well and dont hesitate to call,text, or email them and let them know that their child has acted up and what the punishment has been. We are all working to together to raise happy, healthy, well behaved kids.

know about it and accept it. I run a small inhome daycare. I only accept five children at a time. I cater to those parents that work long hours, have low income, and dont have anyone else to rely on. I have a very low turnover rate and rarely have any openings. I make it very clear in my ad and during the interview that I am a strict disciplinarian who believes in corporal punishment when need, respect of elders, manners, and being kind to others. If the parent that I am interviewing doesnt have the same parenting style as myself then I let them know right away that I dont think it will work out. I dont use spanking for a first time offense or even a second offense and not for every little thing. It has to be something major. I will lay the child across my knees and swat their bottom three times with my hand. I  do not spank any child under the age of two or anyone past the kindergarten age. I have all of the parents sign a release and agreement form for this type of punishment. I let the parents know that I treat their child just as I do my own. I hug them, play with them, cuddle them, comfort them, teach them, and discipline them just as if they were mine. I am very reliable and honest and have never had an issue with a parent in the five years that I have been doing childcare in my home.  I usually have a waiting list a year long and rarely need to advertise due to word of mouth. So would you leave your child in my care?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Replies (41-50):
dreamarrow
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I wouldn't allow it. Whatever works for other parents though
LLisaA
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM

No.  My kid gets his butt swatted every now and again, but by me, his parent.  I expect that my childcare provider would put him in time out if he did something terrible, then discuss it with me so that I, as the parent, could handle the discipline.  

What the child care provider thinks is worthy of a spanking and what I think is worthy of a spanking are likely 2 different things.  In general, I think spankings are the "easy way out" for someone who doesn't want to do time-out.  My kid gets time-out in 99% of cases, in the other 1% he might get his butt swatted but those are very rare and are ONLY when I know a time out isn't going to be sufficient (like he goes to time out for the same thing 3 times and does it again).  

The age range you posted for spankings tells me that you spank the kids that should be getting time outs, they're the idea age for it to work, but probably because time-outs are exremely time-comsuming and difficult to enforce at that age, you swat their butts to have it over and done with so you don't have to police the time-out corner.  I'm not cool with that and I wouldn't ever sign a waiver that said a daycare provider could discipline my kid however they see fit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM

No but I don't belive in spanking at any age for any reason. If I were a parent and there for an intreview you wouldn't need to tell me that it wouldn't work I would tell you. But from what you say it's working for you and you have plenty of bussines.

Shaken1976
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Nope.  Not ever.  No one touches my kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I would. I also run a daycare and I also will spank. The make it clear to the parents before I even start watching their children that I will spank them if needed. I rarely spank though.

Mel0dy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Hell no! If a man smacked a woman everyone would flip out, hit an innocent child and people are ok with it. Fucking sick. You can't just go around hitting people when they don't do something you ask them to, you gotta teach kids how to react the real world. In the real world that's assault!

I agree. I also find it weird that parents teach there children that there butt is a private part and then when they are bad they hit there private part. How does that make sense?

Shabbydoll78
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Nope.

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM
We don't spank our kids and family better not put a hand on my child either. If a daycare worker hit my child then be prepared for a lawsuit and criminal charges. I would NEVER give you permission to hit my kids.
beckyr
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Nope.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM
3 moms liked this
See how people read spanking but register beating. I'm guessing its the worst punishment in your establishment and only used when absolutely needed and no other punishment is suitable,,,, kids who know its a possibility to get a spanking for bad behavior might take a little time to think about if what they want to do is worth it and maybe learn a thing or two about right n wrong and impulse control ,,, I'd expect my kid not to act bad in someone else's place but if they do by all means a swat to the butt won't hurt them. So yeah I'd send my kids to your daycare n not have a problem with it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN