Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

6 Surefire Ways to Get Your Kids' Attention - How do you get your kids' attention?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM
  • 45 Replies
5 moms liked this

6 Surefire Ways to Get Your Kids' Attention

by Julie Ryan Evans

kidsSometimes I feel like I'm invisible to my children. I repeat myself over and over again all day, competing for their attention with their friends, the TV, books, and just the time they spend staring off into space instead of responding to my questions and requests. They're not disobedient so much (usually) as they are just preoccupied with everything except what I'm saying ... most of the time.

I, however, have found the key to getting their attention in mere seconds, six keys, in fact. They require no bribes, no threats, just these simple actions by you. I can almost guarantee you will have their undying, undivided attention if you try these things -- so much so that you'll be wishing they'd ignore you again.

1. Try to Pee Alone

If you really want to get them to come running, try shutting the door all the way, and they'll be banging in an instant.

2. Attempt to Make a Telephone Call

Even if you hide in a closet, they will still be all ears (and mouths) once the phone is anywhere near your ear.

3. Make Yourself a Nice, Hot Cup of Coffee

You'll get their attention extra quickly if you actually try to sit down and drink it.

4. Take a Shower

Everyone wants to talk when mom finally finds some time to get clean.

5. Have a Conversation With Your Husband

Actually, any adult will do. The minute you start a conversation with another human being, they suddenly want to talk your ear off.

6. Sleep

Whether it's a quick cat nap or you're down for the night, somehow the second your eyes close is the second they need you.

How do you get your kids' attention?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM
19 moms liked this

I whisper. 

Sometimes if you whisper the words "I have candy" kids will flock to the room.  Some of them aren't even mine.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Whisper

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Announce I'm going somewhere but not telling them where. I don't even have to say it loudly. They all want to know where I'm going and can I buy them something LOL.
Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Walk out the room. My twin 1 year olds are perfectly content to ignore me; unless I leave the room; them they HAVE to follow me; or of couse; if I get something to eat or drink; THEN they want to pay attention to me
starlight91
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM

dont have that problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I calmly say" I have a candy bar on my head"
It's amazing what they hear.

Quoting ErikaRobin:

I whisper. 

Sometimes if you whisper the words "I have candy" kids will flock to the room.  Some of them aren't even mine.

garnet83
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes to all of these. In addition...

1. They can hear the sound of a door locking from a mile away and they will come running to investigate.

2. The smell of food. When I cook, I can't get them out of the kitchen.

3. Grown up tv or movies. If it's not age appropriate for them, they refuse to leave the living room (yet they ignore programming for their own age group).

Karenjm
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM

haha, so true!! I sit down and they are all over me.  OR, I sit down to eat and my 2 year old is on my lap faster than you can say pass me the salt.

F_Stathouse
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I tell mine I am pinata full of candy and they will  chase me around screaming I'm going to get the candy. lol

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

My dd is 8 weeks old today so if I need her attention I either make a loud noise, softly blow on her face or tickle her feet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)