Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much do you figure it costs a month for your kid?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

Here is my breakdown...

There is just me and dd in the house

Half of rent...all bills included $714

Summer camp $400

Dance $200

Food $150

Gas $80

Entertainment $150

Okay...so that is $857 a month for half her costs....(If I were to get child support).  This doesn't include clothing, birthday, Christmas, or other things like that. 

That being said...  The way I see it..  I choose our entertainment budget and I choose to put her in dance.  So really he isn't responsible for those things if he doesn't get to participate or see them. 

I think a good way to work child support would be to figure out half of the childs needs and then add in a certain percentage for a childs/BMs wants.  Then call it good.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Camp 520 monthly

Food 200 monthly (I pack lunches everyday)

Gymnastics 120 monthly

Gas 200 (I drive a beast)

Entertainment varies on the month depending on what we are doing

hip2it
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM

We are a family of five.  My oldest two children are my ex husband's.  If I took every expense that could pertain to the children (all household bills, extracurriculars, medical expenses, orthodontic costs, insurance coverage, school costs, etc etc etc) half of that amount would be more than my ex husband makes all year.

Not that it matters.  He doesn't pay child support anyway.

purple_panda
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM
A third of our monthly bills (for things she uses including the mortgage): $1,330

Taekwondo: $40/month

Summer programs: $30

School lunches (during the school year): $45

We're married, so it doesn't matter though.
LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Rent and bills shouldn't be figured here. If you can't house and feed your child without cs(because it is not guaranteed) then you shouldn't be custodial parent.

AlohaTink
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Too much lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM
About 300 a month for food for them only, clothes, entertainment.
If I added in half the mortgage and half of all other bills that would be included to house them. It would be about 1,000 dollars a month. We have 4 soon to be 5 kids.
bex55
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM

No child support does not work that way sorry. It is based off income and time spent with the child, that's it. You don't get money for gas, or half your rent. If I am going to figure out how much my child costs I recognize that rent, gas, food, these are all my responsibilities, not my child's, not her father's (if we were to split up,) but my responsibility. You don't like it, get a smaller place, don't send your kid to summer camp, find a cheaper dance class. You can go to the park, the library, the river. $150 for entertainment? On top of $600 for camp and dance? That is just silly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Well it is part of providing for the child. Technically I could live in a one bedroom in a crappy neighborhood without her.

But I don't get CS anyway.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Rent and bills shouldn't be figured here. If you can't house and feed your child without cs(because it is not guaranteed) then you shouldn't be custodial parent.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM

By your way of figuring, it costs about $2,000 a month for my daughter.

::shudder::

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)