Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why race does play a role in the Zimmerman case

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies

Let's just go ahead and get this part out of the way: I don't care if it 2013, race matters and always will. Sorry, that's just how it is. To say you "shouldn't see color" is counter-productive. Everyone sees race. People naturally gravitate towards their own race. People have natural bias. Psychology proves it. And since those biases exist, stereo-types will be born. They only way you are going to fix these stereo-types is by acknowledging the differences in race and culture and learning about those differences rather than making judgments based on those differences. Now with that out of the way, why is this a race thing? Because whether Zimmerman would have been white, Hispanic, Native American, Italian, or anything else, it wouldn't have mattered. What does matter is that Trayvon was black. Believe it or not, there is a stigma against young black men. Young black men are seen as a threat in this society. Unless that young black man looks like what society wants them to look like (clean cut, nice clothes, handsome, ect.), he is seen as a "thug", "up to no good", and "uneducated". To be the mother of a black son, you know this. You know your child will one day have this stigma placed upon him. You know that the same ones coming up and cooing over how cute he is a baby are the same ones who will question his motives when he is a teenager walking home in the dark. She has to raise him differently. She has to be harder on him. She has to let him know at some point that because he is black, people will be judging him based solely on that, even though it's not right. Even though she knows her child is just as wonderful as any other mothers child. She knows that just as her child is being judged so is she because at the end of the day if the child does something wrong, it must have been because the parenting was lacking. It must of been because she was uneducated, uninformed, on welfare, drugs, or just has too many children to be bothered with the problems of one. People say "just get over it. It's not that big a deal. Your imagining that race matters that much, and if you think it does, your the racist one." Not really, I just have enough experience and common sense to know that it does. I am only 26, but have been experiencing racism since I was a very small child, starting with my own mother who was ashamed of having a child from a black man. Then from the children I went to school with because where they were from, people didn't "mix races". I was too black for the white kids, too white for the black kids, and I couldn't speak Spanish so a couldn't hang out with the Hispanic kids. When I was a teenager my family had a party for one of my younger cousins at the club house pool in their neighborhood, which was a suburban, nearly all white-neighborhood. In the middle of the party a white family comes in and starts complaining and saying we couldn't be there because the pool was only for people who lived there, and threatened to called the police. I am only 26, so these things didn't happen that long ago. And let's be clear, I am NOT saying all racism is directed towards black men, or black people in general. That's my example because that's what this involves. Racism can exist between any race or culture and be directed towards any race or culture. That point is it does exist and is very prevalent, and you can't fix a problem without acknowledging it.

This is NOT about the verdict. The verdict did not surprise me. I am a Criminal Justice major. I know how the law works, so I know why he wasn't convicted. So don't bring that up to me because I don't care. It's about racism and stereotypes and how they affect people and acknowledging that whether you like it or not it does in fact play a role. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
petie1104
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I'm sorry that you feel this way. I can't completely empathize but I can say that I have a daughter with mental illness. Though it doesn't translate directly, I can say that I have to raise her to be tougher and stronger because she will always have to be even better to get a job, even better to succeed because the stigma of mental illness will follow her in life. Not to mention, she's female and of course women get paid, on average $0.70 on the $1 that a man gets paid. Due to the nature of her illness, in a case like this it would be assumed, with nothing other than her illness that she was the aggressor.

Now where I find you lose me is in the assumption that the Zimmerman case was about race. Unless we KNOW that GZ wouldn't have followed a white kid, Hispanic kid, female then we don't know that his decision was based on race. We can't know that. His decision could have been based on that partially or fully, but we will never know. There is no way to determine what he was thinking when he decided that this was a suspicious person. For you to spend energy on assumptions will not change the fact that he may be morally, ethically, and completely guilty. This does not make him legally guilty of anything. The law does not always directly correlate to right and wrong. It's sad, but it is a necessary evil. Otherwise anyone could be prosecuted for whatever the powers at that time determine are wrong.

Basically, my point is, by losing sleep, by focusing so much energy on Zimmerman and his type, you are giving them power. If Zimmerman is as power hungry as some people believe then he is lapping this up. If he is racist as so many believe then he is enjoying the tension his trial is causing. You are giving him the very thing he wants, publicity, attention, a diversity between races. Let Trayvon rest in peace and let Zimmerman disappear into obscurity where we will never have to give him another minute of satisfaction for creating the strife and turmoil he has.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I understand what you are saying. You are very right, there is also a stigma placed on mental illness and I am sorry that is a challenge that your daughter faces. I am not saying Zimmerman should be guilty because I felt like he singled out Trayvon because he was black, because that is not how the law works. I do feel like the verdict was wrong because a child died at the hands of a man who was over-zealous about his position as neighborhood watchmen, no matter his race. But I honestly didn't expect them to convict him of anything considering they didn't even want this case brought to trial. But yes, I do feel like Trayvon's race was a main factor in why Zimmerman followed him based on what I heard on the 911 tapes. I am not trying to really make anyone mad or stir something up, but I'm just saying how are we going to fix the problem of racism if it is not acknowledged? Ignoring something doesn't make it go away.
Quoting petie1104:

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I can't completely empathize but I can say that I have a daughter with mental illness. Though it doesn't translate directly, I can say that I have to raise her to be tougher and stronger because she will always have to be even better to get a job, even better to succeed because the stigma of mental illness will follow her in life. Not to mention, she's female and of course women get paid, on average $0.70 on the $1 that a man gets paid. Due to the nature of her illness, in a case like this it would be assumed, with nothing other than her illness that she was the aggressor.

Now where I find you lose me is in the assumption that the Zimmerman case was about race. Unless we KNOW that GZ wouldn't have followed a white kid, Hispanic kid, female then we don't know that his decision was based on race. We can't know that. His decision could have been based on that partially or fully, but we will never know. There is no way to determine what he was thinking when he decided that this was a suspicious person. For you to spend energy on assumptions will not change the fact that he may be morally, ethically, and completely guilty. This does not make him legally guilty of anything. The law does not always directly correlate to right and wrong. It's sad, but it is a necessary evil. Otherwise anyone could be prosecuted for whatever the powers at that time determine are wrong.

Basically, my point is, by losing sleep, by focusing so much energy on Zimmerman and his type, you are giving them power. If Zimmerman is as power hungry as some people believe then he is lapping this up. If he is racist as so many believe then he is enjoying the tension his trial is causing. You are giving him the very thing he wants, publicity, attention, a diversity between races. Let Trayvon rest in peace and let Zimmerman disappear into obscurity where we will never have to give him another minute of satisfaction for creating the strife and turmoil he has.

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I'm not harder on my Sons based on our race. That has no bearing in how I raise my kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Here is the statistics on why there is a stigma on young black men: blacks make up 13% of our population, yet are responsible for over 70% of the violent crimes. Fix that issue and the stigma will go away.
Zimmerman didn't get a not guilty verdict because of color. He got that verdict because he didn't break any laws. Following someone...not against the law. Stupid, but not unlawful. Killing someone when you think your life is in danger...again, not against the law. You can't put someone in jail when they did not break any laws. Get over it. It wasn't because of race.

Edit: I'm not saying get over the whole situation. I'm saying get over the fact that GZ did not break any laws, therefore received a non guilty plea. Also to get over the fact that he didn't get that verdict because of color. We shouldn't just get over the fact that someone was killed. Instead of trying to put away someone who doesn't deserve it, let's work on fixing the issues. Let's get into the black communities. Let's get rid of the violence. Then profiling will be a thing of the past.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM

So, if you saw a white male, gauges in his ears, tats all over his neck and arms, pants sagging that you know for a fact doesn't live on your street walking down your street you wouldn't take notice?   I sure as hell would.  I'll be GZ would have also.  I really don't believe it to be a black problem.   It's any race as long as the person differs from what is considered the "norm".  I'm sure if a young preppy white male went walking down the street in a black inner city neighborhood someone would take notice too.    

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I never said I was upset by the verdict. I said race did play a role. I am saying that racism exist and it does affect people, but people would rather try to ignore it to make it go away. Like I said, just because you ignore something doesn't mean it's not there. And regardless of face and regardless of this case I think the "stand your ground" law is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Quoting Anonymous:

Here is the statistics on why there is a stigma on young black men: blacks make up 13% of our population, yet are responsible for over 70% of the violent crimes. Fix that issue and the stigma will go away.
Zimmerman didn't get a not guilty verdict because of color. He got that verdict because he didn't break any laws. Following someone...not against the law. Stupid, but not unlawful. Killing someone when you think your life is in danger...again, not against the law. You can't put someone in jail when they did not break any laws. Get over it. It wasn't because of race.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Good for you, but I am more of realist.
Quoting Pink.Sunshine.:

I'm not harder on my Sons based on our race. That has no bearing in how I raise my kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Really? So he should have just let TM bash his head in until he died? The stand your ground law is there to protect you when your life is at stake. Take that away and you can no longer protect yourself without going to jail.

Quoting Anonymous:

I never said I was upset by the verdict. I said race did play a role. I am saying that racism exist and it does affect people, but people would rather try to ignore it to make it go away. Like I said, just because you ignore something doesn't mean it's not there. And regardless of face and regardless of this case I think the "stand your ground" law is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

yes race played a role, because the blacks who want to be treated equally as the whites continually bring up the race card. Instead of it just being, a man killed a boy and the jury decides based on the law, the blacks made it about a white man killing a black kid. but its just fine when a black kills another black, then it just based on the law.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I feel like SOME people of certain races use their race as a cop out to act certain ways. They have this idea that society has already deemed them a failure, or criminal etc and act on those things instead of proving society wrong.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)