Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you consider this PA?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

Mobile Photo

So in Canada instead of getting a lump sum back on our taxes for our kids we get it once a month. In different provinces its called different things. The $100 is called the universal child care benefit it its or every child under 6 and you get it once a month. The other is the child tax credit and the amount you get depends on income. The less you make the more you get. All you do is file your Taxes and it comes to you. Would you consider it PA?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I guess it's a form of it just like our earned income credit here. Really anything income based is to a point. My preference would be for the government to take less of our money in the first place and not give us our money back in the form of credits and then act like they are doing us a favor but that's just me.
highlandmum
by Spunky on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM

OP - remember you need to claim the universal child care benefit on your tax return.  DH and I were actually glad when we did not get it anymore because of this reason.  We do not get the child tax credit at all - we make too much money for it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I didn't do my taxes apparently. You can tell by the amount I got I made next to nothing this year (I was on maternity leave )

Quoting highlandmum:

OP - remember you need to claim the universal child care benefit on your tax return.  DH and I were actually glad when we did not get it anymore because of this reason.  We do not get the child tax credit at all - we make too much money for it. 

highlandmum
by Spunky on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I was the one who claimed the darn thing and it always bumped me into a higher tax bracket.

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't do my taxes apparently. You can tell by the amount I got I made next to nothing this year (I was on maternity leave )

Quoting highlandmum:

PoplarGrove
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Honestly, the CTB is a form of PA, if Canada followed the same thought on PA that the American's do.  In our country you don't need to grovel to get it, though.  

pregnantmama105
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I dont believe it is. But that is jmo
StoneColdKiller
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM

i personally dont look at the child tax break as a form of PA. We still get the child tax care but thats nearly it we get maybe 2.2k back on our taxes and we pay in over 6k, so its just another way of trying to keep my money lol.

StoneColdKiller
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I would much rather make over the amount (120k for a married couple) and stop getting the child tax credit as well. We still have a few more years before that happens.

Quoting highlandmum:

I was the one who claimed the darn thing and it always bumped me into a higher tax bracket.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting highlandmum:

supermama322
by Kaylee on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I've been told a few times on here that I'm on PA because of the child tax. So dumb. My husband makes just under 6 figures and we still get the child tax. A couple hundred dollars a month doesn't even make a difference to us, it just goes straight to savings. lol

And what about the daycare subsidy thing that EVERYONE gets no matter what? I've been told that's PA too *eyeroll*

Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM
If everyone qualifies, no. If certain class levels qualify yes. The first I wouldn't consider Pa, the second I would.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)