Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pell Grants/Student Loans

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

Anyone ever receive or are receiving one or both of these while attending school? I've heard people say they actually had enough to get another vehicle that they used to get them back and forth to school. Have you ever been able to do that? If not, how much did you have left over after paying for tuition, fees and books? What did you spend it on?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM
I've never gotten any but on Pell grants you get some extra for living expenses but you can use it for whatever you want. The loans are a different story, they encourage you to take out the maximum loans which sounds great to a lot of students at the time until they spend the rest of their lives paying them off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM

my dd has about $600 to last her the rest of the semester...not a lot to depend on for sure

JacksMom1221
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Pell grants can only be awarded towards tuition and you don't have to pay it back. In my experience, Federal loans, like The Student Loan People, will only pay what you qualify for and only paid to the school. Private loans, like Sallie Mae, will allow you to take out up to $50,000 and they will either mail the check to you or divide and mail some to the school and some to you.
Keep in mind the more you borrow the more you pay back and at higher interest rates.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I got pell grants and students loans. They only ever proecessed enough through fasfa to cover tuition. I didn't see a penny of it.
illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Well, you can take out like 13k in loans without batting an eyelash, so yeah, you COULD use the extra for a car, but thats kinda dumb.

Pell grants are income based. If you have low income, you can get like $5650 per year. As your income goes up, your EFC goes up until your pell grant is 0. We qualify for 0. Loan wise, you sign your MPN and your school makes you an "offer" based on what they think expenses could be, then you can borrow thousands for school without effort.

YOU HAVE TO PAY IT BACK. If someone is taking out loans "for fun" they are a dumbass. Borrow what you need for tuition and books and actual school fees and not extra for a car.

SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I received pell grants for my undergrad. It was only 5550 a semester...I got extra money from my scholarships. It usually went to hefty car repairs and textbooks. I wouldn't say it was ever enough for a decent car.
NaniBoo
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Only... Lol.

Quoting SamiJ18:

I received pell grants for my undergrad. It was only 5550 a semester...I got extra money from my scholarships. It usually went to hefty car repairs and textbooks. I wouldn't say it was ever enough for a decent car.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I had pell grant but they took it away so now I have to get a student loan for a year. Stupid if you ask me to take away a grant. But they only give out 2800 on pell grants here each semester.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I receive pell and an educational scholarship. I don't have to pay them back. They pay my entire tuition fees with about 2400 each semester left over that I get in a check. I am working toward my RN license. I am a SAHM and my dh makes 60k per year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Pell grants can only be awarded towards tuition and you don't have to pay it back. In my experience, Federal loans, like The Student Loan People, will only pay what you qualify for and only paid to the school. Private loans, like Sallie Mae, will allow you to take out up to $50,000 and they will either mail the check to you or divide and mail some to the school and some to you.
Keep in mind the more you borrow the more you pay back and at higher interest rates.

How would I go about applying for the Sallie Mae loan? Do you have a link?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured