Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you buy a 9 dollar chicken?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 78 Replies
We just bought 20 chickens for our chest freezer. They will last us all year. They came out to an average of 9 dollars each at 2 dollars a pound. They were free range birds from an Amish farm.
Would you have spent so much on a chicken? My mom was appalled at the price. She said she can get chicken much cheaper. No doubt that is true. She only buys meat on sale at the local grocery store. However that meat is gross and I can't eat it, the texture is wrong and it tastes bad.

We also have a 10 lb pork loin in the freezer from a pig allowed to naturally forage for its food. We might be getting some beef later in the year but haven't decided yet.

And we have our thanksgiving turkey coming from the same Amish farm later this year.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonandon
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM
That's about how much the chickens at our regular grocery store are for regular chickens. And no, I don't buy them. We don't eat dark meat, so it'd he a waste.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NaniBoo
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I would buy a live chicken so I could make more chickens fo free.
themissheather
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM
I shop at local farms whenever possible and know it can cost more, but $2/lb seems like a good deal regardless.
Kelsey89
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM

If you like who cares if it was 9 or 90.

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

No one in my house eats dark meat, so it would be a waste of money. I'd have no problem spending $5/lb on quality boneless chicken breasts, but a whole bird full of bones and meat we won't use would be a waste to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Yes I would. That's around what we pay for our halal meat. The price is worth the Quality.

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM
That sounds like a pretty good price. Here you could only get legs only cheaper.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM
To get better quality it costs more. Thanx for letting us know how you spend your money =>
ZombieMeat
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
$2.00 a lb isn't expensive, imo. Especially for good quality, edible chicken. I pay $2.59 per lb, per whole chicken. They average about 3 lbs. I get them from a farm up the street and their chickens are totally free range and forage on the land and aren't given any type of grain, and are antibiotic and hormone free.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM

How many people would each chicken feed?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)