Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Obese Boy Scouts Banned From Jamboree PIOG

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 15 Replies
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM

liability

aidyns_mommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM
They knew years in advance so unless there is a medical reason preventing them from being within the height/weight limit then it makes sense to ban them.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM

These are not the "chubby" kids - they are only looking for those who are VERY obese.  This is a very active place, lots of hilly hiking, and other adventure activities.  Not someone someone VERY obese would even be able to do.

Not really "news" either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I think its also for the dads too. There are many obese fathers who help with the Boy Scouts, so I think when they see it limits their children and themselves, theyll be willing to work on their health. But I think its a good idea. A BMI of 40 is still high, and they do physically demanding things, so its better to say 'no, you cant come' than call 911.
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM

The kids do not meet the very clear and posted requirements, end of story. 

shygurl3166
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM
How stupid. Smdh. So what's the point? You can encourage kids all you want but if it seems unattainable they will quit.

Bmis are a crock of shit for most kids. They are still developing... *sigh*

Poor kids.
ZakTuffMavsMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM
They knew 2 years ago. There is a lot of extreme hiking, climbing, ect that they need to be able to keep up with. All the adult workers and volunteers had to comply with the standards too. My friend's husband is a medical doctor volunteering there this week and her son is a scout.
Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Liability but also 40% bmi is A LOT that's. That is considered class 3 which is very severely obese. I see no problem with them not allowing a child to participate when it can hurt that child.

malibucj
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I think the concept was good in giving them a goal to become healthy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Discrimination is okay for overweight scouts but not gay ones.  Got it.  No double standard there at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)