Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O spanking post

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

for those moms that spank.... what behavior warrants a spanking in your home.. and what is your rational behind that as punishment rather than other punishments?......

ETA: Genuinly interested in your thinking process here.. not being a Bi&*H or anything just want to know....

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Spanking is reserved for very serious offenses. So they really have to be doing something very bad for me to resort to spanking.

Things like disobedience after telling them to do (or not do) something. I give 3 warnings. That 3rd time will be a spanking. I don't think that is unreasonable. There are other consequences before that 3rd time.

Kids younger than 2 and older than 15 are not spanked.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Be specific.... what behavior would they have to do to be spanked? and why after 3 warnings do you spank as opposed to other forms of discipline......and enlighten me on your age requirements..

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Spanking is reserved for very serious offenses. So they really have to be doing something very bad for me to resort to spanking.

Things like disobedience after telling them to do (or not do) something. I give 3 warnings. That 3rd time will be a spanking. I don't think that is unreasonable. There are other consequences before that 3rd time.

karamille
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Rule breaking + dangerous situation.  Like telling your baby brother to go into the road to get a ball.  Running from me in a busy parking lot.  Going down to the creek even though they were told the water was too high/fast and to stay away from it.  

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM

when it involves them physically harming their sibling or another child.

When it damages personal property.

when they do something they know not to do that puts their life at risk(example: try to run into the street, knowing they shouldn't do that)

Having category 5 meltdowns. this has only happened a handful of times.

I don't have to spank often, but I am not opposed to having to do so.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

ok thank you for being specific... now the rational part im missing.. why spanking as opposed to other forms of discipline... and help me understand your thinking behind physically spanking your child for physically harming their sibling? again.. not bashing but want to understand the thought process and rational

Quoting zomgkerrie:

when they do something they know not to do that puts their life at risk(example: try to run into the street, knowing they shouldn't do that)

malissaL
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I used spanking in a 3 strikes your out fashion...1st time i'd redirect, 2nd time was a warning (if you do that again you will be spanked) and 3rd strike you are spanked. I spanked by turning the child over my knee. 

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

My oldest son is Autistic. It is hard to get through to him at times. He understands this form of discipline in the tougher situations.

He will often try to do things like run in the street, and his younger brother, who is 3 and does not have Autism, will follow  him. I  try to keep some of my oldest sons' Autistic behaviors from rubbing off on my youngests. Especially when it comes to hurting others or objects, and personal safety.

Quoting Anonymous:

ok thank you for being specific... now the rational part im missing.. why spanking as opposed to other forms of discipline... and help me understand your thinking behind physically spanking your child for physically harming their sibling? again.. not bashing but want to understand the thought process and rational

Quoting zomgkerrie:

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Things like telling me a lie, telling me no after I've told them something to do. Willful disobedience basically.

Before a spanking happens there are other consequences. Such as standing in the corner, time outs, groundings, etc.. I give ample opportunity for them to make it right. Basically other forms of discipline are exhausted before we ever do a spanking.

As for age requirements. Under age 2 they are are not ready for a spanking. And even some 2 yr olds don't know the meaning of no yet. So they are not ready. When they understand what no means, and know what they should be doing (or not do) that is when I'll decide to spank.

When they are around 15 (again not completely set in stone age. It depends on their development) they are mature enough to move away from spankings. My DD is almost 12 and hasn't had a real spanking this whole year. The only thing she's gotten is a little light tap on the butt to remind her the possibility is still there. She's getting more mature so it's not needed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Be specific.... what behavior would they have to do to be spanked? and why after 3 warnings do you spank as opposed to other forms of discipline......and enlighten me on your age requirements..

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

An example: The children are told before we even leave the house that they WILL behave themselves in public or I will spank them right then and there. Once home there will be even more punishments, misbehaving in public is a major offense in my home. In reality both of my children (now 10 and almost 5) have only been spanked maybe twice in total. That's twice since they've been alive. They know that I will follow through with what I say though, I have never given in and never backed down. Therefore the talk that we have before leaving the house is enough, neither of them have ever acted up, run away, or thrown a tantrum in public. I think they've each only had one tantrum each period. It's my job as a parent to raise children who will one day grow up and be unleashed onto the world. I want them to be good, respectable members of society rather than burdens, and I feel that I'm doing that.

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

just wanted to expound on my answer a bit :)

with my oldest being autistic, and trying to find a discipline style that works for him, I personally feel its best to try and stay as consistent and as close to the same punishments for both my boys as I can. I feel that if I try to discipline each differently, they will not understand why they are being treated differently, and it will cause more problems than it helps.

Since my oldest responds best to spankings in the more severe instances, I try to keep the standards the same for my youngest as well. Just so neither boy feels singled out in any way. If that makes sense? Thank you for allowing me to explain :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting zomgkerrie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)