Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism.. YA right...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 152 Replies
3 moms liked this

Curious, do you feel that Autism has become our new "catch all" diagnosis? Or is there really a rise on Autistic children/people. 

When I was younger it was all about ADD, but now it seems it is all about autism. I know people who have children diagnosed Autistic and even have some people in my own personal life who are Autistic, but I just feel as though it is over diagnosed now. Lately when I hear someones child got diagnosed I wonder if its actually a valid diagnosis. 

Thoughts.... 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM
5 moms liked this

I agree with the "catch-all" part

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

sure its the new fad to have your child labeled as having Autism, it gives the excuse on why a child can not behave and why the parent can not control their child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Help! My child had a melt down in the store. Ah! (smacks self on forehead) He must be autistic. I had better get him diagnosed. Surely the Dr will agree.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM
27 moms liked this

I don't think you know as much about autism as you think you do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm autistic, as is my father, as my DD it is only now being really diagnosed before then people were just odd ducks 

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
18 moms liked this
I've actually worked with Autistic kids for years. There is NOT a rise in Autism. There is however a rise in catching Autism at an earlier age which is wonderful! We know so much more about Autism and how to identify it. Children who get help right away have a better chance at a normal adult life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
As much as I hate to say it I have to agree. A neighbor of mine said her 2yr old just got diagnosed. He refuses to use a sippy instead uses a bottle all day every day. Also refuses to give up the binkie. He throws the most god awful fits if he doesn't get what he wants in the store too.

Quoting Anonymous:

sure its the new fad to have your child labeled as having Autism, it gives the excuse on why a child can not behave and why the parent can not control their child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think you know as much about autism as you think you do.

I never professed to know anything about Autism. I only said it seems to be the new "catch all" diagnosis. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I've noticed that as well, the ADD ad Autism deal. When my son wasn't talking much at 2 years old a lot of people (not professionals) suggested I should get him checked out for Autism. -_-
Ummmmm80
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Agree.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)