Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I finally gave in...son lives in guest house now

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

I let my son move into the guest house

He's 17, finished high school last year.  Is transferring in spring to the local University as a Junior, he did community college.  He will be 18 this November.

I let him choose a couple paint colors.  He chose this off blue/grey color and painted an accent wall in his room and this weird green in his living room as an accent wall.  Eh, his home lol I doin't like it.

After the paint dried I took him to the store, let him pick out a couch, a 2 seated bar table, a coffee table, and some other needed furniture

We went to target and got toiletries, pots and pans, dishware set, etc vacuum, swiffer, etc

Went to best buy and purchased a desk top computer and printer and also a small TV, as we don't allow TVs in bedrooms, but he can have one since he moved.

And finally took a trip to whole foods and got a fw bags of groceries.  

ADT is coming next week to set up his alarm system

Hope this all turns out well, it was his first night there last night.

Until he turns 18 he still has to obey is curfew and help out with the lawn work.

His curfew right now is Home Sundays, meaning you continue Family Sundays and do what we do as a family, and then Mon-Th Home by 11pm.  Fri-Sat home by 1am.  Yes I stay up late so I know if he follows.

I suppose he has a pretty nice set up for a 17 year old.  Gosh, it still worries me.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Honestly I think this is really smart because he's still "at home" but he has the freedom to start living like an adult. 

We don't have a guest house, but if we do in the future, I would completely consider this. 

Hot_Badonkadonk
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I think that is cool! At least, he is near by :o)

Sounds like a good kid that deserves it!

anotherhalf
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Sounds perfect. Especially since he is going to the local University.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Thank you

We built it on a while ago and used it for storage, and then when we remodeled the house we actually put nice fixings in the place.  So he has a really nice place.  It's just tiny.  But beats sharing a room or paying rent.

Quoting KaylinC03:

Honestly I think this is really smart because he's still "at home" but he has the freedom to start living like an adult. 

We don't have a guest house, but if we do in the future, I would completely consider this. 

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Sweet! I hope I can do this for my kids.
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Totally! We live on the ocean and we have no room for a guest house..but if we did, I would consider it. Smart idea. :) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you

We built it on a while ago and used it for storage, and then when we remodeled the house we actually put nice fixings in the place.  So he has a really nice place.  It's just tiny.  But beats sharing a room or paying rent.

Quoting KaylinC03:

momoftwo0406
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM
That's cool. Sounds like a good kid or sure you wouldn't have done all that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM

He's as good as I could expect him to be for a 17 year old

He's no angel, but he's responsible.He wants to go to Hampton Univeristy, It's an all black school, but he decided he would wait to apply for when he does his Master's Program.  He really wanted to go, so when he decided to stay local I decided I would set him up with something to make up for the fact that he feels like he is missing out.  It's just hard to transfer there and the tuition is expensive.  So he wants to save his college fund for that school.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

That's cool. Sounds like a good kid or sure you wouldn't have done all that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)