Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I throw away toys that are left on the floor EDit for many

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 271 Replies
7 moms liked this

My kids are almost 4 and 6, we have a rule in the house that if you leave  stuff laying on the floor  it will be picked up by me, and thrown into the trash. Im pretty nice about it as i will warn  them a few times before i take it and dump it, and if  its a special toy or something worth  alot i will  hide it.

My mom did this  to me growing up as well and i learned pretty fast to  clean up  properly and clean up as i go.  When talking to friends i notice that they  tend to feel that kids will be kids toys on the floor are not so much a big deal. So what  is your take on toys on the floor?

Edit/Update

So many posts to read through sorry i couldn't reply to many of the questions, thoughts, or comments.

The throw away  rule is for toys that are not so much in great shape and i would not donate as they are nasty.  We do  donate a TON of toys as my kids have finally agreed that life is much easier  with  less toys sometimes. I will sit in their rooms with them with   trash bags and let them sort through what they have grown out of or decided they do not need anymore. ( how do they get so many toys? They  get  money  spend  half their money on what they want and the other half into savings)

As for  the toys i take away.. its not really in their rooms. The rules is for downstairs. If allowed they will bring legos, dinosaurs, beads  pretty much anything they can and leave it everywhere scattered, even outside. Toys outside get ruined with all the rain. toys down stairs get stepped on. I have a baby due in october and i dont want to have to worry about her choking on a bead or a lego one of the other 2 have left hidden on the floor. They have to clean up their rooms before bed, so once a day.

I was raised this way - clean up after yourself  and clean up properly. it worked for me and it  works for my family.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
We started very early with the rule of no toys out until the other ones are put away
2Sparrows4ever
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM
23 moms liked this
I don't care, its a house that kids live in.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this
I would probably do the same. I would donate them though and or hve my kid donate them to someone who can appreciate them enough not to leave them out. Only if it was very consistent though. Otherwise I would just take then for awhile.
Eta: only in the living room though. Tey can leave them on the floor in their room.
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM
10 moms liked this

This sounds like a very expensive consequence because eventually you're going to have to buy more toys... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM
6 moms liked this

Eh, I wouldn't waste the money by throwing them away. They would be bagged up and put away or donated.

Anonandon
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM
3 moms liked this
In her room it's fine, but we clean up before naps and bedtime. Anything left out goes in my closet. I'm not throwing away perfectly good toys, I may as well just throw money away if I do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM
23 moms liked this

Have you considered a time out box for things left on the ground? Basicly you pick it up and put it in the box in order to get it back they have to earn it  for example by doing a chore. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this
You throw them away? That just seems like a waste of money. We always got our toys taken and donated; or we had the chance to earn them back by doing chores. That's what I do with my kids with toys left in the common area.

Toys on the floor don't bother me; but then again I think that their rooms are their domain so if they want to live in a pigsty that's their choice; my kids are 6 and 8 and 11
CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I do the same.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:49 PM
6 moms liked this

*looks over my shoulder*  I throw away all legos I find out the container. 

Photo: -Randi.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)