Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reasonable expectation?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

I've been working with DS to get him ready for kinder, we have some short worksheets (most are 3-4 lines, the numbers one are 2 lines to write numbers then 2 lines to write the number out, the word lines each have enough room to fit the word 1-3 times max) We have several books/sheets so multiple pages for each letter and number. 
Curious, how many pages/day would be a reasonable expectation for a 5 yr old? There are some fun pages thrown in there too, like color, count, draw, connect the dots, etc 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:26 PM

bump

littlemoments99
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Whatever he can handle. My little sister is 6 and I bought her a ton of books for getting ready for school when she was 4 and 5. She liked to do them and would usually do 2-4 pages a day. She sometimes would do an entire section by herself if she liked the section. I know she really liked the ones where she got to circle stuff.   :)

ambermario4ever
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM

As long as he is still interested keep going. Some days mine will only do five others he will do 15 or more. 

krissy920
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM

i would agree with PP 2-4 pages a day depending whats on them, and do a reward system  along with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I would say set a time over a certain number of pages

HeyEinstein
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I would say 2 pages.

Also, go on starfall.com ! It's great for learning to read. Give the kid 20 minutes on that a day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM

He won't even finish one page.... Today he did half a line then scribbled across the rest of the page >.< Before that we did a count and circle page that was 3 "questions" long

Quoting littlemoments99:

Whatever he can handle. My little sister is 6 and I bought her a ton of books for getting ready for school when she was 4 and 5. She liked to do them and would usually do 2-4 pages a day. She sometimes would do an entire section by herself if she liked the section. I know she really liked the ones where she got to circle stuff.   :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM

He's been showing ZERO interest, can't even get him to do one page this week

Quoting ambermario4ever:

As long as he is still interested keep going. Some days mine will only do five others he will do 15 or more. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM

IDK, I never made the kids do worksheets before K. They seemed pretty proficient after preschool so I saw no need.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I tried reward system but it didn't help any, I've tried different rewards each time even letting him pick the reward and he refuses to do any of it :/ He starts school in just over a month, I don't want to push him too much but I want him to do at least a page a day along with other small play learning activities.

Quoting krissy920:

i would agree with PP 2-4 pages a day depending whats on them, and do a reward system  along with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)