Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ladies who are overweight and have trouble losing it::::Do you think you could commit to this?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 51 Replies

Hey ladies, this isn't a bash post

I was wondering if any of you experienced the difficulties I have/had when thinking of losing weight.

I'm now a healthy weight, and have been most of my life, but due to pregnancy and the spinal disease and the muskuloskeletal issues I have, Bed rest did me in.  I became a lazy bed ridden beast....lol

Anywho, so I got used to eating and not moving. Eating and not moving. The most exercise I got was walking through the stores to shop for...food.  lmao...true story.   This lasted about 2 years (because of the 2 issues I listed above, the chronic pain basically depressed me into a state of hopelessness, thinking I was just bound to die so might as well eat)

Well I talked to my doctor and to a nutritionist about what I NEED.

Turns out I got educated on some things.  I was always an athelete prior to pregnancy so I didn't think I needed to know as much as I actually found out.

So here's what I did, just followed some guidelines

Your weight =grams of protein per day (150lbs=150g of protein)  

meat isn't necessary unless you are doing a lot of movement/exercise

So I cut out meat.  My doctor suggested I go vegan but I love milk/yogurt etc and lattes so NO  but that is an option.

your weight in half = ounces of water per day (150lbs=75ounces of water)

If you suffer from any pains like I have, especially if you are really overweight I advise you pay attention to your knees and back, but walking and swimming are great way to get your bodies metabolism going again.

SO this became my diet

Breakfast=protein shake that contained 40oz of protein

lunch/snack=protein bar that contained another 32 oz of protein

Dinner was always what was served minus the meat, my ex was a very healthy eater so no problems plus another 40oz of protein shake.

When I got hungry or wanted to snack I ate nuts and breads

I never gave up my energy drinks, I never gave up my coffee, but making those changes plus walking more than driving helped me a lot.

In 2 months I lost 15 lbs even though my goal was only 10

and then I lost another 5 lbs, totalling 20

now I still lose weight here and there but I am in healthy range so I am not so worried.  

My doctor was very happy for me and shocked that I followed the strict diet.

I did this for a total of 3 months very strict, and then I slowly weined away from it.  For the first 2-3 weeks you feel miserable because you are full and satisfied, but with the supplementing you don't really get much of a hot meal aside from dinner.  But then you learn to not LOVE food, you learn to appreciate it to survive and that is all.  Meditation also helped me.  Good Luck

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM

What do you do about sugar/carbs?  That is always my downfall.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I just eat right and work out.
It turns out it works!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM
You should eat a bit more than 1/3 of your weight in pounds, not the whole weight. At 150lbs you should be eating about 55g. Too much is just as bad as too little.
TaughtTot
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Oh my gosh

great question

As a kid I had 2 root canals and total 21 cavities.....This is how much of a sugar addict I once was and I didn't care, my grandma gave me access and I indulged.  That followed me to adulthood.

So when you buy the protein shake, buy a good tastnig one. I am a choco addict.  I LOVE CHOCOLATE.  I even like my men chocolate, lol

There are great tasting protein shakes that taste like real chocolate shakes...so try to not think of it as a nasty protein shake, think...yummy chocolate shake.

Also you can buy fruity flavored protein shakes, Yum add fruits, some juice and blend....yummy

ALso the protein bars taste similar to candy bars.  

Then if you are going to really go nuts with out sugar, purposely buy the smaller amount.  You'll hate paying so much for a small amount and eventually, if you are like me, you will resent buying it eventually.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you do about sugar/carbs?  That is always my downfall.

TaughtTot
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM

It is a high protein diet so you don't need as many carbs

People get energy from 2 main sources.  Carbs and Protein

Unfortunately carbs come with so many calories

So if you cut carbs, you increase protein

If you cut protein, you crave carbs.  It's just how the body works.  My nutritionist completely approved. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You should eat a bit more than 1/3 of your weight in pounds, not the whole weight. At 150lbs you should be eating about 55g. Too much is just as bad as too little.

davnrori
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I lost 56lbs by exercising regularly and cutting out all fast food and most processed food. I'm not interested on going on an extreme diet that I only use for a short period of time because that wouldn't teach me anything except how much I hate to be hungry, which is something I already know.

I prefer to get my calories in a healthy and filling way by changing my diet gradually until it becomes a lifestyle and not a short-term fix.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM
That sounds like a terrible diet
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I cannot follow a slimfast kind of diet. I get too hungry in the middle and blow it. I am grossly overweight and I am going to try another diet that doesn't depend on supplements or any kind of gimmick (not saying what you have done was) After being overweight for most of my life, I realise that there is no simple way of getting the weight off. My problem is that I hate to move and I am addicted to food. I realise that in order for me to lose weight I will have to watch what I eat and move my butt. I am glad that you have reached your goals though and this may really work for others. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Thanks for sharing. I need to give it a try.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)