Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Puppy for daughter's birthday gift

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM
  • 38 Replies

My daughter will be 2 next month. I do already have one, but it's more my parents dog. My boyfriend and I were thinking about getting her her own dog. We both grew up with pets and want her to love them too. Do you think she's too young? Obviously I don't expect her to walk it or remember to feed it. We were thinking a medium sized dog like a Lab. Any opinions or suggestions?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I wouldn't do it until she's old enough to help take care of it herself (feed it, take it outside, etc.). My son is 2, and he's really into dogs, so we thought about getting him one but decided against it for the same reason I just listed. 

Anonandon
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as you have no expectations for care, I don't see an issue, it's just another family dog until she's older. I'd get something smaller than a lab though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RiotousDigits
by Emerald Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

If you want it to be HER dog, wait a couple years and make her part of the decision making process.

If you want a FAMILY dog and have a specific breed in mind, go for it, but I wouldn't consider it a birthday gift for her.

meaganmac
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Labs can be pretty rambunctious so that may not be the best choice for a 2 year old. Obviously she's not going to be providing any care for the dog, but I think pets are great for kids to grow up with.
3boysngirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM
That's a good idea just be careful puppies r hyper and they nip just gotta watch them together at all time.
Kelsey89
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM

That wouldn't be her only gift. Just the only alive gift lol

Quoting RiotousDigits:

If you want it to be HER dog, wait a couple years and make her part of the decision making process.

If you want a FAMILY dog and have a specific breed in mind, go for it, but I wouldn't consider it a birthday gift for her.

lstrickland
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM
My lab knocks my 2 year old down a lot. He is a hyper dog like all labs. Even as a puppy he mouthed her a lot. I would either wait or be prepared to constantly be fending the dog off the.kid.
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM
I wouldn't.

When I was 12 I was given a kitten and when I moved out she came with me. Not too terribly long after that she was diagnosed as diabetic so here I was a young 20 something barely making it as it is with an elderly cat with health problems.

I loved her and made sure she got the meds she needed but it was a strain and I don't think too many people think that far into the future, raja lived to be 17.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelsey89
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Oh I didn't know that. My parents have a German Shepherd and she loves playing with her. I was considering getting another GS, but I don't know.

They also had a Rottie that my daughter loved, but unfortunately passed.

Quoting meaganmac:

Labs can be pretty rambunctious so that may not be the best choice for a 2 year old. Obviously she's not going to be providing any care for the dog, but I think pets are great for kids to grow up with.

Kelsey89
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Ugh I didn't know this. I want a calm docile dog.

Quoting lstrickland:

My lab knocks my 2 year old down a lot. He is a hyper dog like all labs. Even as a puppy he mouthed her a lot. I would either wait or be prepared to constantly be fending the dog off the.kid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)