Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All black colleges ... made me wonder....(question to all) **update**

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM
  • 144 Replies
2 moms liked this

I am really considering transferring to one, or at least applying.

I think I might experience culture shock if I actually ended up going to one.

I live in California, and in an area that is diverse.  My mom, who is actually white, gave me the idea, she said it's not just a college of people from the same background, it's a learning experience.

I have about 6 months to decide on which ones to apply to, I need to research because my major isn't offered everywhere. It would be for a Master's program.

So question to you

Do you think you would experience a culture shock going to an environment where it mainly had people of your ethnicity&(or)race?

and then 

Based on your answer above...Why?

Do you live in a multi-cultural area?

Is the place you live right now mainly people of your same ethnicity/race or are you the minority where you live as well? (yes, white people are the minority in some areas)

(if you can't imagine it I guess if you are Indian, and you've never been to India but then went, you'd suddenly be around people that look like your family, advertisements with actors who look like your neighbors, stores with food for the food of your culture, etc etc etc)

One mom from a mommy meet up I went to was from Hawaii, she was White.  She said she grew up being the minority at her school.  She moved here and she said it was weird seeing so many other white people. She said it's nice but she said "I think it's a good experience for everyone to experience both types of living" both as a minority and as a majority(for example)

Hey moms, thanks for all of the feedback.  I know the definition of ALL BLACK SCHOOLS is confusing, explanations are in responses.  I currently attend a University in California and my mom suggested it because I said I wanted to experience something different for my next 2 years of college after I graduate.  I originally wanted to study abroad but because I have my son, taking him with me to a new country wouldn't fair well in court with his dad. :/  My reason for studying abroad is I wanted to see life as it is in another culture.  But this is kind of the same thing.  I am not used to being around people of my race, so I could still learn something in life with this, it is a culture wayyy different I am sure from the Bay area.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly, I'd be afraid I wouldn't be able to tell everyone apart and it would offend all the black people.

I have trouble telling people apart when in a large group of similar looking folks. That goes for whites, Asians, and Mexicans too. I'm white btw, lol!
BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM
2 moms liked this
They are going to LOVE you :)
BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM
LMAO are you serious??????

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, I'd be afraid I wouldn't be able to tell everyone apart and it would offend all the black people.

I have trouble telling people apart when in a large group of similar looking folks. That goes for whites, Asians, and Mexicans too. I'm white btw, lol!
msb64
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

i have lived in several countries where I was definitely a minority.  The "culture shock" only lasted for a very short period of time and the situation soon became my new normal.  Each time I have had a little bit of culture shock returning to the US.  My kids are currently in an International School and are ones of only a handful of caucasians.  It is a wonderfully enriching experience for them and indirectly, for us as their parents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM
I'm totally serious. I hate family reunions because I can't tell any of my extender families apart. As in all the kids look alike to me and the same goes for other age groups.

Quoting BUFFIE.the.BODY:

LMAO are you serious??????

Quoting Anonymous:

TaughtTot
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM

lmao

literally lmao

I totally appreciate the honesty

**dying**

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM
On a side note I wouldn't worry as much about the culture. I think that aspect would be neat!

Quoting TaughtTot:

lmao

literally lmao

I totally appreciate the honesty

**dying**

Quoting Anonymous:

LNLMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM

hmm you might experience a culture shock but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be a bad thing. I went to an HBCU and even though I'm Black-it was still a shock for me. Not much culturally but more so being a 17 year old in college. Are you staying on campus? I don't think you will have any problems as far as people messing with you or anything if that's what you are worried about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Ummm... I couldn't get in because I'm white so no answer from me
TaughtTot
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It's very tempting

I'm def going to do research.  The one thing I will miss: Californian Life

Quoting BUFFIE.the.BODY:

They are going to LOVE you :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)