Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O. Children petting dogs.

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM
  • 277 Replies
11 moms liked this

This is geared more towards the few people who think it is okay for your kid to touch anyone's dog without permission. Or the people who consider dog owners to be "mean" or "rude" if they say no to your child.

If you let your kid run up behind a strange dog and touch it and it whips around and bites your kid would you take the blame for not watching your child as they touched an unknown animal or would you blame the dog/dog owner for the bite? Or if you asked the owner and they said no, but you let your kid touch the dog anyway then would you hold yourself responsible, or the dog and dog owner?

On the contrary. If you let your kid run up to a strange dog without permission from the owner and your child hurt the dog. Would you claim responsibility for the vet bills or would you count the dog owner responsible. If the dog owner said no and your kid still hurt the dog would you hold yourself accountable? 

I expect most of you to answer "no" or "blame the dog/ dog owner" to these questions and that is the precise reason that I don't appreciate people running up and touching my dogs without my permission. I do not want to be held accountable for injuries sustained to your kids or my dogs during a walk because you didn't teach your kids that running up to a strange dog is potentially dangerous. My dogs haven't shown any aggression but, like any creature, they may react differently when surprised. Your child running up to them and randomly touching them surprises me, so I could only imagine it surprises them. 

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LectioDivina
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you should be taking your dog for a walk in public if the are big and dangerous...

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM

How would you know if a dog is dangerous or not if you leave it alone? Unless it is lunging at you then the only way to tell if a dog is dangerous is to actually get near it and pester it and see what it does. 

Quoting LectioDivina:

I don't think you should be taking your dog for a walk in public if the are big and dangerous...

LectioDivina
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Granted,I do teach my children never to go up to strange dogs, I just think it's irresponsible on the dog owner's part to take a dangerous dog out where it can easily do damage if baited.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

How would you know if a dog is dangerous or not if you leave it alone? Unless it is lunging at you then the only way to tell if a dog is dangerous is to actually get near it and pester it and see what it does. 

Quoting LectioDivina:

BluePandaDreams
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM
4 moms liked this
I have two dogs. One small. One large. I have a do not touch my dog rule. I won't ask, I will tell you don't touch. If you persist, I will tell you it isn't my problem if the dog bites you. That usually stops people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MySweetRemix
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I've tried teaching my child to always ask and never voluntarily touch a strange dog.  If you have a dog known to be mean or 'dangerous' then I agree, don't take them in public where a child who hasn't been taught or might forget will touch them and get bit.  Although any dog can turn at any time and quite frankly some dogs just don't like some people. 

JLS2388
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM
9 moms liked this

If some stranger came up from behind you and started rubbing or touching you, I'll bet your reaction wouldn't be too positive, right? I know I would react instinctively and smack the person. So why is a dog expected not to react?

Quoting LectioDivina:

BluePandaDreams
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this
Any dog can be dangerous if provoked or approached by a stranger.

Quoting LectioDivina:

Granted,I do teach my children never to go up to strange dogs, I just think it's irresponsible on the dog owner's part to take a dangerous dog out where it can easily do damage if baited.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Quoting LectioDivina:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM
3 moms liked this

All dogs are potentially dangerous if baited. Which is why you shouldn't go up to random dogs and mess with them. You could run up to the littlest, sweetest Chihuahua and take it by surprise and wind up getting bit. 

Quoting LectioDivina:

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Quoting LectioDivina:

JLS2388
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

If your dog is know to be aggressive then yeah, the dog should be kept away from people, especially children. But people need to understand that other people's dogs are not there to entertain your children. Your child running up to the dog and petting it without permission might well startle the dog and the dog may well react.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Right!. My SIL scared me by jumping out from behind her truck and I punched her in the tit. Would I normally punch her in the tit, nope. But everything reacts differently when surprised/startled. 

Quoting JLS2388:

If some stranger came up from behind you and started rubbing or touching you, I'll bet your reaction wouldn't be too positive, right? I know I would react instinctively and smack the person. So why is a dog expected not to react?

Quoting LectioDivina:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)