Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O. Children petting dogs.

Posted by   + Show Post

This is geared more towards the few people who think it is okay for your kid to touch anyone's dog without permission. Or the people who consider dog owners to be "mean" or "rude" if they say no to your child.

If you let your kid run up behind a strange dog and touch it and it whips around and bites your kid would you take the blame for not watching your child as they touched an unknown animal or would you blame the dog/dog owner for the bite? Or if you asked the owner and they said no, but you let your kid touch the dog anyway then would you hold yourself responsible, or the dog and dog owner?

On the contrary. If you let your kid run up to a strange dog without permission from the owner and your child hurt the dog. Would you claim responsibility for the vet bills or would you count the dog owner responsible. If the dog owner said no and your kid still hurt the dog would you hold yourself accountable? 

I expect most of you to answer "no" or "blame the dog/ dog owner" to these questions and that is the precise reason that I don't appreciate people running up and touching my dogs without my permission. I do not want to be held accountable for injuries sustained to your kids or my dogs during a walk because you didn't teach your kids that running up to a strange dog is potentially dangerous. My dogs haven't shown any aggression but, like any creature, they may react differently when surprised. Your child running up to them and randomly touching them surprises me, so I could only imagine it surprises them. 

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Replies (271-277):
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Exactly.

Quoting ruth85:

I agree with you completely.

When my kids were little we had a very strict rule about seeing dogs in public.  They had to stand away from the dog and ask the owner for permission to approach or touch the dog.  And if the owner said no, you say "thank you" and back off.  No exceptions.

It taught my children several things besides dog safety...it also taught them to be respectful of others, that sometimes you cant do what you want to do, and that even if you are turned down for something, you should be polite.

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

My dog is friendly but will get startled if people run up at her and start grabbing her.  Luckily it hasn't happened very many times and people usually ask me if they can pet her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Oye I'm done I have already said they should have left the dog alone.  If you would like to continue this conversation go to the other post as this post is NOT about her, her dog, the jacket, the training or even her post really.

Is there a reason you can not grasp that?

This post is about grabbing strange dogs and if the parent would get pissy if the child got hurt and if the parent would feel bad if their child hurt the dog, if the parent would take responsibility for their child's actions.  Get it?

Quoting smurfbitebug:

He was wearing a "Puppy in training please do not pet me" jacket.

^^
Cut and pasted from the OP.

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg you don't get it, I know what the vest is. It did NOT say service dog or working dog it said dog in training there is a difference. Many vest for training dogs don't have written to not touch the dog.

Again, I have said the children should have left the dog alone. However, many use the training vest to just let people know the dog may jump or whatever. Some use it to welcome people for socialization. I have 2 vests myself for training one that asks people to touch the dog and the other says please don't touch.

So tell me again what I don't get please?

You seem to not be getting that this post is NOT about training, why do you fail at grasping that?

Again, there are different vests so get a clue.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

You still don't get it. That vest isn't just for show. When the dog has the vest on, it is time to work. Not cavort around a store with children. It would be a mistake on the owner's part to allow a child to pet and play with the dog when it is supposed to be working.

It's blatantly obvious to me why that would be the case. Perhaps you need it drawn out for you. In crayon.

Quoting Anonymous:

THIS post is not about the training post, you fail to understand that.

Now maybe you can read again: the children should have left the dog alone, the mother should have respected that.  I NEVER disputed that.

But the fact that she is trying to train her dog to listen to her commands when distracted she did miss an opportunity.  She could've allowed the petting when asked & then commanded her dog.  Missed training opportunity. Period!

So no I don't fail to understand anything :)

Quoting smurfbitebug:

See, what you don't understand is it is not a "wonderful training moment". When the dog has the vest on, it is working. Period.

Quoting Anonymous:

Look I was commenting on your comment in HERE.  Now you are talking about her training, wrong topic.

According to your comment in here is people are saying one thing in one post and another in this post, which is not true.

Also, no the people were wrong in her situation however she lost a wonderful training moment.  But to each their own.

Bottom line is yes every dog needs socialization but no kids shouldn't go running up to a strange dog to pet it w/o asking!  So what people were saying in her post was accurate.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

"UM" I never argued that dogs don't need socialization.
Her particular dog has different needs than a family dog, though, in the socialization area.
And random kids petting her in public when she has her vest on isn't correct. At all!

Quoting Anonymous:

Um dogs do need socialization.

Most people agreed w/the OP in that post that the children & the mother should have respected the OP & not touched the dog.

But people also read the "why" from the OP & it didn't make sense as animals do need socialization, helps prevent dog bites.

So yes dogs need socialization but yes people should ASK before touching random dogs they do not know.  Not hard to understand that.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

There were ladies there telling her that it is socialization and needed. And here everyone is saying kids shouldn't pet random dogs.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

How? 

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Interesting how different the replies in this post are from the original.

kameronsmommy08
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM

My kids know never to touch a dog without asking it's owner.

smurfbitebug
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM
You repeatedly asking me if I grasp simple concepts is so ironic.
This is a spinoff post. The title makes it clear. So of course there will be some overlap.
Next time you want to try to prove someone wrong, pick someone who is actually wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oye I'm done I have already said they should have left the dog alone.  If you would like to continue this conversation go to the other post as this post is NOT about her, her dog, the jacket, the training or even her post really.

This post is about grabbing strange dogs and if the parent would get pissy if the child got hurt and if the parent would feel bad if their child hurt the dog, if the parent would take responsibility for their child's actions.  Get it?

Quoting smurfbitebug:

^^

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg you don't get it, I know what the vest is. It did NOT say service dog or working dog it said dog in training there is a difference. Many vest for training dogs don't have written to not touch the dog.

Again, I have said the children should have left the dog alone. However, many use the training vest to just let people know the dog may jump or whatever. Some use it to welcome people for socialization. I have 2 vests myself for training one that asks people to touch the dog and the other says please don't touch.

So tell me again what I don't get please?

You seem to not be getting that this post is NOT about training, why do you fail at grasping that?

Again, there are different vests so get a clue.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

You still don't get it. That vest isn't just for show. When the dog has the vest on, it is time to work. Not cavort around a store with children. It would be a mistake on the owner's part to allow a child to pet and play with the dog when it is supposed to be working.

It's blatantly obvious to me why that would be the case. Perhaps you need it drawn out for you. In crayon.

Quoting Anonymous:

THIS post is not about the training post, you fail to understand that.

Now maybe you can read again: the children should have left the dog alone, the mother should have respected that.  I NEVER disputed that.

But the fact that she is trying to train her dog to listen to her commands when distracted she did miss an opportunity.  She could've allowed the petting when asked & then commanded her dog.  Missed training opportunity. Period!

So no I don't fail to understand anything :)

Quoting smurfbitebug:

See, what you don't understand is it is not a "wonderful training moment". When the dog has the vest on, it is working. Period.

Quoting Anonymous:

Look I was commenting on your comment in HERE.  Now you are talking about her training, wrong topic.

According to your comment in here is people are saying one thing in one post and another in this post, which is not true.

Also, no the people were wrong in her situation however she lost a wonderful training moment.  But to each their own.

Bottom line is yes every dog needs socialization but no kids shouldn't go running up to a strange dog to pet it w/o asking!  So what people were saying in her post was accurate.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

"UM" I never argued that dogs don't need socialization.
Her particular dog has different needs than a family dog, though, in the socialization area.
And random kids petting her in public when she has her vest on isn't correct. At all!

Quoting Anonymous:

Um dogs do need socialization.

Most people agreed w/the OP in that post that the children & the mother should have respected the OP & not touched the dog.

But people also read the "why" from the OP & it didn't make sense as animals do need socialization, helps prevent dog bites.

So yes dogs need socialization but yes people should ASK before touching random dogs they do not know.  Not hard to understand that.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

There were ladies there telling her that it is socialization and needed. And here everyone is saying kids shouldn't pet random dogs.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

How? 

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Interesting how different the replies in this post are from the original.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Funny everyone else managed to stay on topic as this has nothing to do w/training.

You were wrong, go back to what you originally said.  There were ladies there telling her that it is socialization and needed. And here everyone is saying kids shouldn't pet random dogs.

You tried making it sound like people were saying different things when they weren't.  That is where the conversation started so you were wrong.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

This is a spinoff post. The title makes it clear. So of course there will be some overlap.
Next time you want to try to prove someone wrong, pick someone who is actually wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting smurfbitebug:

^^

smurfbitebug
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Every single one of your replies to me have been wrong. In every single one of them, you have said at least one thing that is just blatantly wrong.
You jumped on me for comparing two posts, one of which is a spinoff of the other. Something Ali had no issue with, and this is her post.
You need to back off a little bit and realize what you are doing here.
I am not angry with you, but you certainly seem to be angry about this. Why would you even be so concerned about my comment? I didn't single anyone out. I made a simple comparison.

Quoting Anonymous:

Funny everyone else managed to stay on topic as this has nothing to do w/training.

You were wrong, go back to what you originally said.  There were ladies there telling her that it is socialization and needed. And here everyone is saying kids shouldn't pet random dogs.

You tried making it sound like people were saying different things when they weren't.  That is where the conversation started so you were wrong.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting smurfbitebug:

^^

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured