Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do consignment stores not want expensive/boutique type of clothes?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

I went to Once Upon A Child to sell about 30 name brand and/or boutique dresses & outfits  for the first time today. I wasn't expecting any certain amount (actually expecting a low amount, like $1 each), but they only took 3. These were insanely cute, brand new looking little girls dresses that cost $30 -$50 each. 

I didn't say anything of course, but left thinking WTF, because as she gave me my $5 for the 3 dresses (which were actually the cheapest ones I brought) she said, "we are really picky here."  I was looking around the store while I waited, most of the clothes were faded, obviously used, nothing boutique for sure....

This is not a vent, I'm happy to donate them now, but I was really surprised. Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
AMCMSM
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I have heard this about Once Upon A Child. I considered selling some things there but based on comments on this site I have not. Good thing since I am now having another girl. I would rather give them to a shelter or friends than take pennies so they can flip a profit.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Never been to Once Upon a Child.  I yard-sale extra stuff and what doesn't sell gets donated to whatever local charity thrift store I feel like taking them to that day.

IAMmomtotrips
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Yes, once upon a child rarely takes boutique clothing. You have to go to a boutique consignment stores to do those. They don't even take my Strassburg dresses.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)