Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin off-Stay away from my dog!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM
  • 2 Replies
Another post reminded me of an incident that happened with my dog this year. I have a German shepherd. She's average size, about seventy pounds. We have this neighbor kid whom she never liked. He's 11 or 12 and "home schooled." Meaning, he got kicked out of public school and he was never schooled at home. He ran outside all day. My neighbors had some stories of him stealing so I always made sure to watch him while my son rode his bike with him. He'd knock on our door asking when we were coming back out and my son could play. My son is five and has no reason to play with this older kid. When we would walk Babs, she would see him and immediately bark at him. To the point where I had to pull the leash on her prong collar to get her to stop. She, for some reason, did not like this kid. It got to the point where we started walking in the opposite direction of his apartment. What I don't understand is, we told him the first time this happened to stay away from us when we walked her. What does this kid do? Walks up and tries to pet her. I jumped in the middle and sternly told him to stay away. We walked away and stopped going that way on our walk. Well, months of this continue. We wouldn't walk her over there but he would come to our apartments while we were out (we lived at the end of the street). She'd always bark and I'd have to put her in when he came over. One time, my son was on his bike and I was letting her potty. He comes up, with some sort of toy gun, like a nerf one, but it was huge. He starts chasing my son with it. I don't like guns, even toys ones so I told him to stop. He continued. Babs saw this and flipped her shit on this kid. She was leashed, but she pulled so hard to get at this kid, the leash came out of my hand. She ran towards him. I called her to stop and thankfully she did. I picked up her leash, told my son to get inside and told the kid that maybe next time he will listen and not to come around my son again. I immediately called my brother who is a cop and explained the situation to him and what do to if they called the cops. He said based on my information, he wouldn't ticket me or anything, since Babs was really just protecting Blake and that the kid was warned. I also talked to the guy who I got her from about it. He then told me that she was trained as a K-9. I was told this when I got her, but I guess I just never thought about it. She's not certified, although had I kept up with her training she could have been. He explained that because she's trained to see guns as bad, that's why she freaked. And that there was something about this kid she just hated, an instinct basically. So, my thoughts are, if you've been warned by the owners multiple times to stay away, why continue to come around. I don't feel the least bit sorry for this brat.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SaratheV
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Ugh. Why did it not come up with my paragraphs??

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I don't either. My dogs love children and love being petted my strange kids but they do have great instincts about people, especially my collie, Maggie. She tried to attack my little girl's friend's father when he came to pick her and her mother up. She wouldn't even let the man near his own child. I found out later that he was a violent wife beater and put his wife and daughter in the hospital two months later. On the other hand, the first time she met my husband, she took to him right away and practically crawled into his lap. That is how I knew he was a good guy. I would trust your dog's instincts about the kid. Dogs are smarter than people. My dog's instincts have never lead me wrong.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)