Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm going to lose my mind!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
My daughter is 3. She turned 3 in April. She has shown an interest in the potty starting at 16 months. I did not push the issue until she was about 2 years old.

Ever since then it has been an ongoing battle. She will do fantastic for weeks. Not a single accident including at night. Then she gives up and refuses to use the potty at all. For months.

We completely got rid of diapers about 2 months ago. I refuse to buy diapers again. There is no reason she CAN'T use the potty. She is just refusing. She will pee in her pants then refuse to change. And cry when I try to change her.

Her room smells awful because no matter what I do I can't keep up with the laundry. She pees her pants 4-5 times a day!

I have tried praising her when she goes potty. I have tried a sticker chart, rewards, I have even tried punishment.

Does anyone have any advice other than "she's simply not ready don't push her."?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beckyr
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM

My friends daughter did this.  She took her to the store and let her pick out a pack of undies with Princess's on them (her favorite) and then she took her over to the diapers and told her she could choose only one.   The baby diapers, or the big girl pants.    Luckily her daughter chose the big girl pants and I'm sure there was an accident here and there along the way, but I remember her telling me (this was years ago .. her daughter is in college now. lol) that it really did the trick.  She was so proud of the undies she picked out, she didn't want to ruin them.  

I only remember that story because we were potty training our kids at the same time.   Now I feel old.   lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM
I have tried this too! She was so excited to get her big girl underwear. It lasted a few days and she was right back to square 1

Quoting beckyr:

My friends daughter did this.  She took her to the store and let her pick out a pack of undies with Princess's on them (her favorite) and then she took her over to the diapers and told her she could choose only one.   The baby diapers, or the big girl pants.    Luckily her daughter chose the big girl pants and I'm sure there was an accident here and there along the way, but I remember her telling me (this was years ago .. her daughter is in college now. lol) that it really did the trick.  She was so proud of the undies she picked out, she didn't want to ruin them.  

I only remember that story because we were potty training our kids at the same time.   Now I feel old.   lol

kagegirl
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM

When she does, rinse her in the tub under ice cold water. I guarantee it will take a day. And yes, it sounds harsh, but desperate women and all that

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Maybe I'll try it. I have made her get a cold-ish shower but I always put a little warm water.

Quoting kagegirl:

When she does, rinse her in the tub under ice cold water. I guarantee it will take a day. And yes, it sounds harsh, but desperate women and all that

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Bump
fliptopz4
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

My son did this he just did'nt want to stop playing to go to the bathroom.

GaleJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I would hope that before you do something as "drastic" as the cold water dunk that you have her checked by a doctor. Is it possible that she is suffering from any number of physical problems? Reading your post the first thing I thought of was that when she refuses to use the toilet she may have a UTI.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Shes been checked out multiple times!! There is nothing physically wrong with her.

Quoting GaleJ:

I would hope that before you do something as "drastic" as the cold water dunk that you have her checked by a doctor. Is it possible that she is suffering from any number of physical problems? Reading your post the first thing I thought of was that when she refuses to use the toilet she may have a UTI.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Uti may cause it..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM
She doesn't want to stop doing anything! She will walk into the bathroom then Stand in front of the toilet and pee herself! It's beyond frustrating!

Quoting fliptopz4:

My son did this he just did'nt want to stop playing to go to the bathroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)