Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG My son is already pushing my limits (just moved into the guest house) or so he thinks

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

He wants to cut hair in his place and make it like a business during certain hours

OMG OMG

For one, I don't think that is completely legal.  I guess it could be considered a Hobby/Trade Service but really?

He came to me with a "proposal"

I wish I had a scanner because I would attach it to this

It reads::

Mom and Pops.  Now that I live on my own I would like to be able to make money cutting hair in my place.  I will charge ten dollars per cut, and each cut takes about 20 minutes.  As you can see this may turn out to be highly profitable. I know you don't want me to work but just think about it.  I could even just do this on Saturdays from noon to 6pm.  My friends are all willing to come to me and as word spreads, my client base will grow.They all pay $20 for a hair cut, so I am offering a better price for the same work, plus there might be tips.

If I do two cuts an hour I will make $120 that day and I would no longer have to ask you for money to go out and do things like, go to the movies, go to the club, or anything else that I like to do on Saturday.  

I would also like to do this at the same time on Fridays, but I know that might be asking too much because you don't like traffic at the home.  

Don't try to hide this from pops, I gave him a copy too. I already know he will side with me. I also sent a copy to dad via e-mail"

Lawd help me, this kid has learned too much.

I already talked to hubs, which is his step dad aka pops, and i talked to his bio dad, and his bio dad and step dad said they'd be willing to go get a permit for the home and a retail license in their names.  

Im wondering how far I should take this.  I am impressed and am all for it.  I kind of would like to go buy a Barber chair for him, some new clippers and scissors as well as other needed items.  Or Maybe I can give his dad, bio dad, the money to go with him to do it.  After all Bio dad is the one who taught him this skill.

Bio dad is a barber on the side, as more of a hobby, he likes the interraction, the time to be a perfectionist, etc etc etc

I'd actually be okay with investing in opening a small shop for bio dad and my son.  I know it sounds odd, but if it could benefit my son, I will do it.  Maybe as an 18th birthday or something just to make sure this isn't just some phase. 

ladies

opinions please

pros and cons

(Im always looking for new businesses to open, I might be jumping the gun)

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kagegirl
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I would enroll him in barber school. Just so he can start learning

MamaRae85
by *you're on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM

How old is he?

I think if he knows how to do it and is willing to stick with it, he should go ahead and try it out. He's got support, and it looks like he kind of knows what he's capable of, so why not give it a try?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I think I am for it.  And I think I will allow both days.  He knows how to cut hair, he can even do designs and different style on his own head, takes after his dad.

Quoting MamaRae85:

How old is he?

I think if he knows how to do it and is willing to stick with it, he should go ahead and try it out. He's got support, and it looks like he kind of knows what he's capable of, so why not give it a try?

opal10161973
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM

He doesn't have to have a license for it in your state?  I know in FL, they have to have a license for everything, including cutting hair.  Especially if they are going to get a business license. 

anotherhalf
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM

As long as it's all legal, and you are covered insurance wise, I'd say go for it. 

And I ask for a cut, of the money. lol.  See what I did there?  hehehehe

NiNio9
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM
If y'all are wanting to make it into a business he will need a barber'slicense. Here in WA if you are caught without one it is a $2k - $5k fine and possibility that you can never have a license.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

haha

I don't need it, but if he has to go to a barber school or anything I'm just going to help his bio dad open a shop.  It'd be better  in the long run.  THAT I will be taking a 40% cut of until bio dad can buy me out.

Quoting anotherhalf:

As long as it's all legal, and you are covered insurance wise, I'd say go for it. 

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Lol

Quoting anotherhalf:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM

He NEEDS to be a licensed cosmetologist/esthetician, OR apprenticing under a licensed C/E. I know, out of three sisters, two are in the biz, I've spent time apprenticing with both, didn't follow through completely because of pregnancies keeping me from being able to handle the fumes from perming solution and dyes

IF it is found out that you guys are ALLOWING a minor to operate a hair cutting services establishment on his own you can and will be fined. REALLY suggest you look DEEP and HARD into the laws and regulations for not only your state, but your specific city/municipality as well. You may be able to find a man who would be willing to apprentice him until he has enough hours to take the test and pass to be licensed.

I think its an excellent idea, personally, just don't want to see you guys get in trouble for trying to help your son realize a dream!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Thanks for the intel

I think I'll go see what costs are to open a small shop. Then maybe he can take some classes since he is taking fall semester off, preparing to transfer in spring.

Quoting Anonymous:

He NEEDS to be a licensed cosmetologist/esthetician, OR apprenticing under a licensed C/E. I know, out of three sisters, two are in the biz, I've spent time apprenticing with both, didn't follow through completely because of pregnancies keeping me from being able to handle the fumes from perming solution and dyes

IF it is found out that you guys are ALLOWING a minor to operate a hair cutting services establishment on his own you can and will be fined. REALLY suggest you look DEEP and HARD into the laws and regulations for not only your state, but your specific city/municipality as well. You may be able to find a man who would be willing to apprentice him until he has enough hours to take the test and pass to be licensed.

I think its an excellent idea, personally, just don't want to see you guys get in trouble for trying to help your son realize a dream!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)