Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mosquito Bite WELTS

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM
  • 68 Replies
My son is 13 months old. My son has had two HUGE mosquito bite welts. Huge. It gets like a blister and the one he currently has popped and cleat liquid oozed. I dried it and put neosporin and a bandaid on it. Anyone else having this issue? Benadryl can't be used until age two. What are you guys doing about it? He doesn't seem bothered much by it... But it looks terrible... Like 5x the size of a normal bite. I of course am trying to avoid bites by not going out at dusk and dawn, but Mosquitos happen, ya know?
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM
My youngest son develops blisters after mosquito bites. It's a sensitivity. I know it sucks!
PinkHart
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My child was allergic to them and YES Benadryl can be used under age two with pedi approval. Dd began using it at 9 mths.
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

He's allergic, poor little guy. If you have a Vitamin Shoppe near you go and buy this.

BNG Enterprises                     Emu Oil Crm W/Msm Aloe & Vit C, 4.0 Ounces , CreamPicture is clicky. It works for a ton of things including stopping the itch of bug bites even though that isn't a listed use. I use a ton of this stuff. LOL

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Quoting momto2boys973:

My youngest son develops blisters after mosquito bites. It's a sensitivity. I know it sucks!

same here. There wasn't much I could do except let them heal. The daycare used to call me too to come get him because I guess they thought it was pox or whatever, but nope, it was mosquito bites.

Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Good to know... Maybe I'll give his dr a call and ask. Phil is on the big side anyway, so maybe Benadryl won't be a problem. He's just over 25 lbs.

Quoting PinkHart:

My child was allergic to them and YES Benadryl can be used under age two with pedi approval. Dd began using it at 9 mths.

elisesmom922
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

DD5 has had this issue from birth, its a mild allergic reaction for her per our pediatrician. DD used Benadryl at around 9-10 mo. per her ped's recommendation.

.Zombie.Girl.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM

My 18 months get welts after a bite too.

I mix coconut oil with a little lemon juice and put it on the bite to help reduce the itching. 

ZsMommy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Happens to me- in fact currently have a couple big welts myself. I feel bad cuz he's so little (not being able to use Benedryl-though ask your pedi what might help)-I end up taking antihistamine for myself they drive me crazy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I freaked out when my daughter got them - the ped said benadryl,  neosporin and a bandaid.  She is older now, and I bought the benadryl no itch stick because she has been scratching at them.  I also reco cutting his nails as short as possible to reduce the bite getting infected or scabby.  

Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Interesting, Ty. He doesn't seem to scratch at them... Or even notice. The first one took two weeks to clear and there is still a dark spot on his leg where it was. This one he just got yesterday. If it seems like its itching him ill check this stuff out... There is a VS nearby.

Quoting bmw29:

He's allergic, poor little guy. If you have a Vitamin Shoppe near you go and buy this.

BNG Enterprises                     Emu Oil Crm W/Msm Aloe & Vit C, 4.0 Ounces , CreamPicture is clicky. It works for a ton of things including stopping the itch of bug bites even though that isn't a listed use. I use a ton of this stuff. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)