Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yellow Jacket sting! Help!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM
  • 26 Replies
My dd just got stung by a yellow jacket (ok, about 20 minutes ago) Her finger immediately started to swell. I put ice on it right away & had to run to the store for Benadryl. By the time I got back the swelling had started to move to the next finger and about to her knuckles (she got stung on the upper hald of her index finger.) She's acting fine otherwise, no shortness of breath or anything like that. She has been stung by bees before, but never by a jacket & has never swollen up like this before.

Is there anything else I can/need to do or watch out for (obviously breathing issues)?

You'd think after having 3 kids nothing would phase me, but this kind of threw me into a mommy panic. (Pics pg 2)
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Take her in to get checked out, just in case. Or call a nurses hotline. Could be nothing but the way its swelling, i would get it checked out.
BaronSamedi
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Take a picture!  Any swelling is dangerous.  Is there a runner?  ( a line looking like dashes up the arm?  If so emergency room.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Just keep an eye on it, the swelling should go down soon. Odds are she will be fine : )

CrimsonGrace
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM
How is she after a dose of benadryl? Watch for swelling in her face, tongue, or difficulty swallowing.
wickedstepjenn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Draw a circle around the swelling and watch for a while. It is gonna swell for a while because the venom is moving but if you gave her benadryl and she's breathing ok I'd say she's ok.

Poor baby :-( I'm highly allergic I have to carry a epi pen just incase.
ermka
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM
No lines of any kind. I took a couple of pics, but they'll take a few to upload.

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Take a picture!  Any swelling is dangerous.  Is there a runner?  ( a line looking like dashes up the arm?  If so emergency room.

kentuckyrose
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Call your dr. That is what he is there for. Explain to it to him and see what he wants you to do.
ermka
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM
It's only been maybe 10 minutes since I gave it to her. She's complaining that it hurts, but nothing more than that :/

Quoting CrimsonGrace:

How is she after a dose of benadryl? Watch for swelling in her face, tongue, or difficulty swallowing.
2012Rabbit12
by JoseManuelVargas on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Give her motrin to help with pain and swelling. once I got a bee sting on my foot and it swelled up like a balloon. so I went to the dr. and he did absolutely nothing...so I would just treat it at home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Put some chewing tobacco on it,
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)