Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The funny things that First time mom's say...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 103 Replies

My confession today is that while I adore my sweet sister in law, she has no freaking clue about life with a baby. She is due in early august, she is hot and miserable. I will probably come off as a bitch in this post, so do know that I am keeping this all to myself and NOT saying any of this to her. She will find out eventually. With that said...here goes....she makes tiny comments about how I do things (I hvave been a mom for ten years, with now four boys...I do have some clue) that she see's wrong. For example, I had a baby in Aptil, and I hold my baby, we nurse and snuggle as I did with his brother's as well. They are all well adjusted boys. She says things like I have a bouncer and an exersaucer and swing and he (her new, only baby) will self soothe and I will be able to do things that I use to be able to do and I would never hold him that much because then he gets used to things so maybe you should invest in some of these things so you don't have to hold him so much...

Wait a minute...I WANT to hold my baby that much, and knowing her, SHE will want to hold her baby this much...they are adorable and hard not to love and this is how I get to know my babies....

She is convinced that the amount of fluid that she has is some how detrimental and she fussed and stressed her self into a migraine about amniotic fluid being a little on the high side...I had this as well...was never stressed about it as I was told it was no big deal...PLEASE pretty ladies of CM correct me if I am wrong, but I chuckled and tried to reasure her that it would all be fine.

She is convinced that she can not possibly give birth vaginally because of his size...which saddens me...

I know all these things she will find out on her own, as this is her path to motherhood and I am very excited for her. I just wish she wasn't so stressed out about all of it and strangely judgy about what I am doing when she doesn't have a clue yet how interesting life can be with a new baby and this new life that she will live in. My fear is that life will not work as seemlessly as she is planning (since she is a planner!) and it will affect her deeply...Would you leave it all be as it's not my business or would you try and help?

Edited to add...I def do not know everything about kids, I just know enough to know that they as is life are all unpredictable! Which is my point to all of this...I am kind of worried that she is walking herself into a vat of postpartum depression, I suppose is the heart of all if this...
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM
4 moms liked this
I actually know a lot of new moms who will not hold baby for that reason. If only they understood that holding babies create more independent babies.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Lol my friend is a first timer and said BFing in public was so nasty and blah blah blah.... Her son is 7 months and she doesn't even cover up anymore unless she is in a crowded area lol
TheQueenOfChaos
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd be a little annoyed if she was making jabs at your parenting.

However, some people DO let their babies self soothe. I cuddled my first like crazy, I thought people who let their LOs self soothe from the start were nuts, but my cousin did it with all 4 of her and it worked well for them. It's their choice. You sound just as "silly" as her with the comments on what you "know" she's going to do as well. Everyone parents differently, you aren't going to parent like her but you need to understand she's not going to parent like you either.

missmamaof4
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

honestly, New moms drive me crazy

baby growth

Sassy762
by 200 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM
3 moms liked this

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:04 PM

LOL at least the person giving you shitty advice is pregnant. the person giving me shitty advice hasnt even had sex, a boyfriend, hell she has never even been kissed by a boy. She just barely got her first real job. 

I told her that the foods I was going to start him out (when he was 6/7 mos) on was avacado, bananas, green beans, and carrots. All home made. She about lost her shit on me saying how horrible that was. lmao

Lucky2BaMomof2
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Lol.. She'll do her own thing.. Don't let it bother you.. We all end up doing our own thing..

My sister is on her 3 Rd pregnancy now and she's telling me how I'm raising my son wrong (she has 2 girls is hoping for a boy thus time).. Saying his aspergers and stuff is because I breastfed him to long, lol.. He self weaned at 13 months..

Yeah.. It happens.. My son is 7, my daughter is almost 5..
Sassy762
by 200 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM
3 moms liked this

MrsMiles85
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Awww the joy of being a clueless (almost) new mom.  How I miss those days of thinking my life would be like the Dreft commercial. I would do nothing wrong and my baby would be perfect.  Hello real world!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Quoting TheQueenOfChaos:

I'd be a little annoyed if she was making jabs at your parenting.

However, some people DO let their babies self soothe. I cuddled my first like crazy, I thought people who let their LOs self soothe from the start were nuts, but my cousin did it with all 4 of her and it worked well for them. It's their choice. You sound just as "silly" as her with the comments on what you "know" she's going to do as well. Everyone parents differently, you aren't going to parent like her but you need to understand she's not going to parent like you either.

I know her and if I sound silly for being concerned about how her expectations can faultier then I suppose I am silly! What I didn't mention about her is she has life debilitating migraines that she normally takes a ton of medication for and I can not imagine her having as bad of migraines as she has had AND letting a baby self soothe all the time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)