Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

By giving your children a pet, you are doing them a bigger favor than you know

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

catpuppy

I was talking to a child psychologist and he said 

allowing your child to grow up with a pet from a young age you are teaching them to love, responsibility, but you are also teaching them, more importantly, how to deal with death.

He said, a child grows very attached to a pet they have a responsibility for. Pets are not supposed to live as long as we do.  Most dogs given to a child as a toddler will die when that toddler becomes a teen, based on expectancy.  He said, now when that pet dies, you are there to teach them about grief and the importance of remembering, and the importance of death, and the importance of love, etc etc

This is the proper time and the proper way to learn about death, hopefully, before it happens to someone close to them.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hello_kitty25
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Interesting, but i believe it. I had a chihuahua for my dd, couldnt handle the hair and pissing, so i gave it to her father (we are divorced) and he has the dog at his house for her, so she gets her pet, and i dont have to deal with it! lol

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM

We would love to have a dog. However with dh being military we don't want to deal with a pet during moves. Dh is away a lot so we want to wait till he is home more to train/bond with a dog too. One day.

mom4awesomekids
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I believe it.

MommeeTo4
by &1more on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Makes sense.
My dh lost his dog when he went into the Navy, the dog was old and had hip dysplasia so his parents put her to sleep when he was in basic training.

He never really got over it bc he said he didn't want them to have a pet bc they die and he doesn't want them to have to deal with death.
I told him death comes with anything that is alive and it can help the kids learn about death and dying.

We do have pets, but dh doesn't interact with them much bc he doesn't want to get attached
elarsen4eva
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I have always had pets. when i was little i had dogs, cats, rabbits, and even a cow. I dont remember a time when i didnt know about death or that it was a normal thing. the first death i remember was and it was a very hard thing for me to deal with. I loved my dog and she was hit by a car but i understood that these things happened. I have since had many more dogs (my parents raise puppies) and have seen them come and go. DD has a dog now who is 3 years older than her so he will not be here until her teens most likely but she will always have a pet. 

growing up with pets ment i always had someone/something to cuddle with when my brothers picked on me and i didnt want my parents

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM
It also made us have to explain the death penalty to our kids, who were 8,3, and 2. Our beloved furbaby bit my oldest son in the face, and then escaped the fenced in yard and bit someone else. We had to have him put down and my kids still talk about him.
poshkat
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I agree.we gave ds a cat 2 years ago right after he turned 4. From the minute we brought pippa home he cuddled next to ds. They snuggle each night. When ds goes to school pip cuddles up on his bed with ds's lovey and greets him at the door when he comes home from school.

Thursday night pip almost died from a urinary obstruction and we had to rush him to the emergency vet. Ds was heartbroken and cried most of the weekend. Thankfully he's home now and they resumed their cuddling and spent most of the afternoon together on the couch.

Pip has taught ds everything that is written up there. I grew up with animals too. When my childhood cat died I broke down. He taught me everything about giving unconditional love to an animal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM
We're military too. We have several pets and never had to get rid of any of them during our moves.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

We would love to have a dog. However with dh being military we don't want to deal with a pet during moves. Dh is away a lot so we want to wait till he is home more to train/bond with a dog too. One day.

.ChiMama.
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Very true. My ds is 3 and he is responsible for feeding the cats in the morning and evening. He loves wing able to help out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I didn't say we would have to get rid of them. I just don't want to be moving a dog across the county a few times and then having the issue of finding a rental that accepts pets and additional security deposits, new vets etc

Quoting Anonymous:

We're military too. We have several pets and never had to get rid of any of them during our moves.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)