Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't believe DH is going to get fired over this

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

My DH talked to his employer today because he fell asleep at the wheel towards the end of a 48 hour shift. He was informed that he will most likely be fired but he has to wait till tomorrow to find out because its pending investigation. He is a medic and they were so busy he wasn't able to get more than 4 hours total of sleep between the 2 days. He explained everything to his employer and his trip sheets proves he spent more time out than at the station during sleeping hours. His employer only allows the employees to sleep between 11p and 7a, employees don't get paid between those hours and his employer says he refuses to pay them for sleeping even though he requires them to be on site.

I'm trying to Google the laws but I'm coming up empty handed as to whether its legal or not to even work an employee this long. We were under the impression that there was a loop hole in the law since his employer provides sleeping quarters but at the same time in this case he didn't get any sleep because of calls through out both nights. We live in Ohio any thoughts or ideas would be very helpful.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Good luck
MamaSince2005
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Call human resources for his company
Katt709
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Is there a professional organization he's a part of? Maybe the organization that certified him? They probably have the legal info you're looking for.
EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Call a few lawyers and see what they have to say.
GaleJ
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is an EMT and so I understand and appreciate your predicament. Please do seek legal help, there are work laws that must be observed and if your husband's employer isn't adhering to them your husband should not be penalized. My thoughts are with you, good luck.

KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM
My husband is a doctor, so I understand somewhat how the crazy shifts and hours work. Personally I think everyone in the medical field (whether doctors like my husband or medics like yours) are overworked, and have schedules designed so they hardly get any sleep. I don't agree with it, at all, but it's reality.

I don't know what the laws are in Ohio so I can't help you too much but I can say that falling asleep at the wheel is dangerous, and his employer likely doesn't want to take that chance. I would advise your husband to start looking for a new job ASAP.
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM

So he is required to work between 11pm and 7am, but his boss doesnt pay for it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I would find out the phone number for the labor board of Ohio and call and see what the rules for EMTs are or the licensing board  @ www.ems.ohio.gov (sorry if not clicky).

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Yes, he is required to be at his station between those hours. He only gets paid if he goes out on a call, otherwise no he doesn't get paid for those hours.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

So he is required to work between 11pm and 7am, but his boss doesnt pay for it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured