Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I can't believe DH is going to get fired over this

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DH talked to his employer today because he fell asleep at the wheel towards the end of a 48 hour shift. He was informed that he will most likely be fired but he has to wait till tomorrow to find out because its pending investigation. He is a medic and they were so busy he wasn't able to get more than 4 hours total of sleep between the 2 days. He explained everything to his employer and his trip sheets proves he spent more time out than at the station during sleeping hours. His employer only allows the employees to sleep between 11p and 7a, employees don't get paid between those hours and his employer says he refuses to pay them for sleeping even though he requires them to be on site.

I'm trying to Google the laws but I'm coming up empty handed as to whether its legal or not to even work an employee this long. We were under the impression that there was a loop hole in the law since his employer provides sleeping quarters but at the same time in this case he didn't get any sleep because of calls through out both nights. We live in Ohio any thoughts or ideas would be very helpful.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (21-26):
SkinnyWrapDiva
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM

yea, that's definitely not allowed, unless (and it's a big maybe) it's volunteered overtime. I am pretty sure most state laws indicate that you must have x amount of hours off every x amount of hours. It may vary state to state, but not by much.

Quoting svolkov:

Wow my dh worked three days straight his last rotation! Hes salaried too

Quoting SkinnyWrapDiva:

yeaaaa. pretty sure the employer recognized a possible law suit, there. I am pretty sure 24 hour shifts aren't legally allowed either, dur to the nature of the job, but that is something you could call your local labor board and find out. 

Quoting Anonymous:

After basically getting down on his knees and begging DH was able to keep his job. The owner realized how dangerous 48+ hour shifts are and now no one in the company is allowed to work more than 24 hours at a time.

Quoting Anonymous:

So what happened??

confused

Visit Me on Facebook! :)

Click below to check out
this Crazy Wrap Thing! 

dudestfd
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:07 AM

It is bc they "give" them at least 8 hrs off in the 48 hrs, it is the same in our state. I am sorry your dh fell asleep but now he is a liability for them and it is a reason to fire him. Sorry mama. 

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
He works in the oilfield. Legal or not its common. They r short engineers up there. He did talk to his regional manager and got an extra week of time off for it tho

Quoting SkinnyWrapDiva:

yea, that's definitely not allowed, unless (and it's a big maybe) it's volunteered overtime. I am pretty sure most state laws indicate that you must have x amount of hours off every x amount of hours. It may vary state to state, but not by much.

Quoting svolkov:

Wow my dh worked three days straight his last rotation! Hes salaried too

Quoting SkinnyWrapDiva:

yeaaaa. pretty sure the employer recognized a possible law suit, there. I am pretty sure 24 hour shifts aren't legally allowed either, dur to the nature of the job, but that is something you could call your local labor board and find out. 

Quoting Anonymous:

After basically getting down on his knees and begging DH was able to keep his job. The owner realized how dangerous 48+ hour shifts are and now no one in the company is allowed to work more than 24 hours at a time.

Quoting Anonymous:

So what happened??

confused

summerlove3677
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM

i think Ohio, I live there too, is a no cause firing state, which means they dont have to give you a reason for firing you (im not sure though!) so they could just say hes not working out. why is he working a 48 hours shift? most EMTs i know only work 12 hour shifts

s.osborne
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM

My BIL is a medic and works 48 on and 48 off. They don't get any sleep at all in those 48 hours that they work. I'm sorry that this is happening, but at the same time, a medic who falls asleep at the wheel is unreliable. Maybe they will just take him off the road and he can do desk work?

RobinChristine
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Glad it worked out for your DH. I live in Ohio and in my county all firemen/paramedics associated with the FD and most private ambulance EMT's work 24 on,48 off. Fire men/woman also get a Kelly day which  is  an extra day off every so many days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)