Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone ever had to go to a homeless shelter?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 135 Replies
We are about a week away from being homeless. Well technically we already are. We have been living in hotels/motels for a month now. I can't save up money to move because it all goes to the hotels. I've called The Salvation Army and they told us they accept families. Anyone have to do this?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM

no, sorry.

good luck

bluemountain75
by SoftballMom on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:48 PM
No. But I'm sorry for what you're going through. Here's a bump.
TaughtTot
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:48 PM

When I was very young my mom had to take me with her to one for 2 months.  When I was 18 I worked at that same one, unfortunately so many families get used to the life and try to stay there as long as possible instead of trying to get on their feet.  Just remain uncomfortable.  Don't learn to love it.  Every day make it your goal to get one step closer to getting your own place.   Good Luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I am so sorry things are so tough for you.  I hope it works out.  I have not been in that position...I have been so poor I had to not eat for a few days but not homeless.

I think I would try to see if there were any friends or relatives that I could stay with before I would consider that. And I am sorry for mentioning it...but I am having a hard time understanding how...if things are so desperate you have a computer or a smart phone with internet so that you can be on cafemom.  If I had either one and I was in your situation, I would have sold them before being homeless.

Lissa14
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Yet your on CafeMom......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Family ones usually are not that bad. And typically they help find you housing and its only temporary. Be strong mama you guys will be ok.

TaughtTot
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh and also a word of advice

Do not try to over compensate by giving your kids unnecessary items because you feel bad.  Rather, save every penny you can and get your own place.

A lot of moms would get their checks that they receive from the welfare and buy Iphone and Ipods and expensive shoes.  You can tell they just wanted to get their kids something and felt bad.  Well the people who suffered for a couple months and saved their money were ablet o save for a deposit much more quickly.  Just a good tip.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

no, sorry.

good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Thank you.

Quoting bluemountain75:

No. But I'm sorry for what you're going through. Here's a bump.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)