Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ton enroll into preschool or just go to Kinder? UPDATED WENT TO SCHOOL DISTRICT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
The kindergarten cut off date is Nov. 2nd The child has to be 5 by that date. My son will be 5 Nov. 1st But my son hasn't been to any school because last year he wasn't enrolled in preschool cause dad didn't want to drive to 2 different schools. Well, lets just say dad is gone and I am running things now and I can enroll him in preschool or should I just enroll him into Kindergarten? He knows how to count, his ABC's, but he can't write. I am working with him during the summer. But don't know if he will be able to write before school starts in 4 weeks. advice? UPDATE*** Well, apparently my school district doesn't have preschool anymore. They have a Transitional Kindergarten program he will be placed into until he turns 5, then he will be transferred into kindergarten. That makes no sense to me.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pnukey
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Preschool

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

it's less about what he knows and can do and more about whether or not he is emotionally ready. if he's mature enough. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM

He doesn't need to know how to write before K. They will teach him that. It is up toyou if you feel he is ready for K or not. Personally, if he meets the cut off I would send him, as I have done with all my kids so far.

archerkaty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Pick now. If you have a good local school you need to register fast.
LilliesValley
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

He needs to catch up on social skills and he would be one of the youngest if you put him in Kindergarten. So much is expected of them now and not only does he seem barely academically ready, behind socially, he's had a lot of personal stuff going on with dad being gone. I also don't get wanting him to be one of the youngest in the class. I'd rather see him always ahead and one of the older students than the youngest. I would wait and put him in preschool.

We red shirted dd and she is an Oct baby and it was the best choice. She's one of the strongest students academically and bigger physically, etc. I just can't emphasize how much is expected of them in kindergarten now. I would do the same again for dd.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Is he emotionally prepared for kindergarten? Can he follow multi step directions and work indepedently?

I have a son who made the cutoff by 5 days. He had done preschool, but still was not emotionally mature enough for the demands of kimdergarten. Holding him out a year was the best choice we made.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Exactly. Ds missed the cut off by almost 3 months last year but I'm glad he did. Even with 2 years of prek under his belt, they expect A LOT more in k now then they did when we were kids.

Definitely a lot to take in to consideration, op. 

Quoting LilliesValley:

He needs to catch up on social skills and he would be one of the youngest if you put him in Kindergarten. So much is expected of them now and not only does he seem barely academically ready, behind socially, he's had a lot of personal stuff going on with dad being gone. I also don't get wanting him to be one of the youngest in the class. I'd rather see him always ahead and one of the older students than the youngest. I would wait and put him in preschool.

We red shirted dd and she is an Oct baby and it was the best choice. She's one of the strongest students academically and bigger physically, etc. I just can't emphasize how much is expected of them in kindergarten now. I would do the same again for dd.

CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My children's re both summer babies and that was close enough to e cut off for me to hold them back a year. My daughter turned 5 last week and will do her second year of prek starting aug. I personally would never send my son as such a young kinder and will no classroom experiance.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

If he isnt used to sitting still for an extended period of time. teamwork. socialization, etc. I would put him in preK

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM

the cut off here is sept 1. my son turned 5 on sept 19. he could only go to 4k. he was so bored!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)