Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CM doctors! Because I'm too lazy to google.

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
  • 77 Replies
1 mom liked this
I burned my hand today at work. I was pulling lunch out of the oven with my right hand, and realized a little too late that there was a very thin spot in the oven mitt at my thumb. I lifted up my thumb after a few seconds (didn't burn it, thankfully!), and then started to drop the pan. I grabbed the pan with my left thumb, index finger, and a little of my palm out of instinct (I'm used to dropping pretty much everything because my hands shake). It took me a couple seconds to realize that the pan was really freaking hot! A metal pan in a 450* oven for 15 minutes gets really damn hot. By the time I got my hand off of the pan, it was definitely burnt. The skin where the pan was is very tight and shiny. I have a big blister on my index finger from the knuckle closest to my nail down to the tip of my finger. I have one large blister on my thumb and a few smaller blisters. The skin on my palm is very red and has one blister. And it HURTS. I ran it under cold-ish water for about 5-10 minutes and left a cool rag wrapped around it for a bit. I put some ointment on it and bandaged it up to get through the remaining 10 hours of work. I'm home now and have the bandages off. There are a couple spots that are just numb, but the rest feels like it's on fire. Freaking sucks. :(
My question - do I need to see a doctor? I don't have insurance and can't really afford it. What can I do to make this feel even a little better?
Tip for the day - make sure you check your oven mitts for thin spots and holes before using them!!
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Yes, see a doctor
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Eh I think you're gonna be ok. I burned layers of flesh off on a rotisserie machine at work.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Burns are the worst. i wouldn't go in, just keep doing what you are doing with the ointment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Could you go to prompt care.. they are at least a little cheaper?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
You should be fine. It's going to take a few hrs for it to feel somewhat better tho. Keep Ice on it and if you want you can go to Walgreens and get a burn gel made specifically for those kind of burns.
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM
What can the dr do that I can't? I'm just not sure if it's super serious or not.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Yes, see a doctor
RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Oh freaking ouch! That must have sucked

Quoting Anonymous:

Eh I think you're gonna be ok. I burned layers of flesh off on a rotisserie machine at work.
AlohaTink
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
No you're fine. It's like a really bad sunburn. My BFF did that with a Pyrex dish that exploded and she was fine (after a trip for ice cream)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Yes that's a second degree burn to the hand. That needs medical care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM

You do need to go see a doc.  You also need to keep that hand covered.  I'm sorry, I've had 2nd degree burns and yea, they hurt like hell

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)