Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP ME! THIS IS SOO GROSS!!!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM
  • 35 Replies

+We all the sudden have cockroaches....ITS SOO GROSS!

We live in an apartment. We have lived here for 6 years and have NEVER had this problem until about 2 months ago. Ive told the land lord they have sprayed 2 times and it doesn't do anything. It gets worse!

They are everywhere! On our couch on our carpet on the walls the ceiling in the kitchen and bathrooms and even our bedrooms! We clean every day! My house is very clean. We dont leave food out we take the trash out daily. I sweep and wipe of counter multiple times a day for crumbs and some how we got them. What do i do? My 9 month old is trying to eat them!

Is there any way i can make them move me to another apartment? What do i do??? Its so nasty and im worried about them getting in my sons crib or him eating them. 

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
destiny83
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM

That is a HUGE hazard. You need to google the hazaeds of coachraches print it out and give it to your landlord. They are likely to be coming from other units and if they are everywhere in YOUR apartment that means there is a SEVERE infestation. They need to address it or face health code violations. I'd call the city too.

athiareece
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
It's def your neighbors. Your landlord needs to speak to everyone in the building and spray the whole building!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I had this problem when I recently moved. I googled info & read that cockroaches love water. Make sure there isn't any water anywhere in the house. Make sure to finish all dishes before going to bed & wipe out the sink to dry it. Get some powder boric acid. You can find it anywhere that sells bug stuff. Sprinkle it around the edges of all the rooms (where the wall meets the floor). Cockroaches like to sort of lean on the wall when walking on the floor, they don't like to walk in the middle of the floor. When you sprinkle it down make sure it's not to heavy just a light sprinkle because if it's too heavy they will run around the piles of powder. Sprinkle it inside cabnets too around the edges. The boric acid will eat away at their skin & kill them. I swear this works. I saw a few roaches & did all that & haven't seen any since. Every once in a while I'll see one & re sprinkle the boric acid.

Love060708kids
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM

We had those too!  Out here they call them "water bugs" but man, they are awful.  We have sprayed numerous times, had maintenance come out and they say the reason why we have them is because there is a splash park near us.

Quoting Anonymous:

I had this problem when I recently moved. I googled info & read that cockroaches love water. Make sure there isn't any water anywhere in the house. Make sure to finish all dishes before going to bed & wipe out the sink to dry it. Get some powder boric acid. You can find it anywhere that sells bug stuff. Sprinkle it around the edges of all the rooms (where the wall meets the floor). Cockroaches like to sort of lean on the wall when walking on the floor, they don't like to walk in the middle of the floor. When you sprinkle it down make sure it's not to heavy just a light sprinkle because if it's too heavy they will run around the piles of powder. Sprinkle it inside cabnets too around the edges. The boric acid will eat away at their skin & kill them. I swear this works. I saw a few roaches & did all that & haven't seen any since. Every once in a while I'll see one & re sprinkle the boric acid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM

It's not you. One dirty apartment can cause TONS of cockroaches which will spread to every apartment in the complex. Provide the evidence of health hazzards to your landlord and suggest he take a look at the apartments to try to find the source. This is also an insurance concern for him/her so if he isn't an idiot, he'll take you up on the advice.

IFartGlitter
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Boric acid wherever kids can't reach is wonderful. Also, they dislike vinegar. Wipe your floors, counters, doors, windows, etc down with plain white vinegar, and leave a dish of it on the counter at night. Eucalyptus oil around your doorways helps repel all bugs too. You also need to speak with your landlord since they are obviously coming from other apartments. Unfortunately, until THEIR roach problem is fixed, yours will not be. You may look into moving. If you choose this option, packed boxes need to be left outside or in the garage for 24 hours prior to being put in the truck, and electronics (coffee pot, toaster, dvd player, etc) need to be more or less gutted. They love the warm places. *shudders*

whoodathunk
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Boric acid will help, but google it because of your baby.  I think I'd move if he doesn't fdo something soon.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM
They won't go away with just your apartment being treated. All that is happening is that, when they spray, the roaches go to another apartment until the spray wears off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)