Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

misery loves company, or fat and happy?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1 Replies

okay. this is really random and totally out of character for me. 

today i was at the neighborhood pool with my kids and the neighbor kids. we were the only ones there, so it was pretty low key.

as we were getting ready to leave another family came in. the mom was very over weight. i would say, at least 100 lbs over. Her oldest son appeared to be a tween and was also very overweight and just in swim trunks (no rash guard or anything is what i mean), the middle was a girl around 8 or so, who was more so chubby than obese, in a bikini and the youngest was around pre-school age and was pretty normally built. maybe a little on the husky side, but dressed the same as his brother. 

i got to thinking about cafemom and how people love to fat-bash or say that they would never let their kid wear skimpy clothes if they were chubby or anything...and then i got to thinking of the other side of the situation. how would you TELL your kid, "ummm. honey. no, you cant wear that. you are too fat and i dont want people to make fun of you." i mean, seriously? kids are so fragile, how would you handle that?

if a child is happy and has not noticed that they are bigger than others, should we just let them be "fat and happy" or should the parents put it out and say, "look, i am big and i know how hard it can be. i dont want you wearing that because i dont want you to be mad fun of since you are big too." 

i never realized how hard of a situation it could be and how easy it is to judge as an outsider. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)