Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I overreacting?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM
  • 42 Replies

I went to pick my Godkids up tonight for VBS. They are 8 and 1. When I got there their mom was at work and her roommate was babysitting. He said my god-daughter (the 8 year old) was "somewhere in town" and I could "go find her if I wanted". I packed up the baby and went looking. She was 6 blocks away with her friends selling lemon-aid at a stand. Now they live in a little bitty town, like 400 people little, but still. I'm pretty lenient but it bothered me she was that far away. I text their mom and she said "yea she can go to the railroad tracks." I know she's not mine but I have been around her whole life, and I don't like it. AT ALL. I know it's none of by business really but it scares me what could happen.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Poor kid. Doesn't really seem like anyone (except you) cares what she does. Dangerous. Predators tend to focus on neglected kids.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I'm with you, poor girl! 

boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

when we were younger, my mom used to let us wander the neighborhood by ourselves. but everyone knew my grandmother so if anything happened, we'd be okay. i wouldn't let dd do it here though. it's a different place, i'm not surrounded by people i trust like i would be back home. i understand why you're uncomfortable but honestly you get no say in it. my best friend is my daughter's god mother and she's never made any attempt to approach subjects like that with me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My 8 year old is allowed to walk to the library with her 11 year old brother 2 miles away so yeah I dont see the problem...do you know its actually very rare for a child to be abducted or molested by a stranger?

reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Her mom, I think, over estimates what she is able to handle. She is a very smart girl, but she is still 8. It worries me, but I do really love her mom, we have be close for over a decade, and she does love her. I don't know how to say something without making it sound like she's a terrible mom. Good thing is the roommate is leaving the 1st of August and the kids will be with me when ever there mom works.

Quoting Anonymous:

Poor kid. Doesn't really seem like anyone (except you) cares what she does. Dangerous. Predators tend to focus on neglected kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Myob
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I may be overprotective but my 8 and 10 yr. old are not allowed out of my sight. I live in the city and maybe that is the reason why I am the way that I am but better safe than sorry.

reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Yes I do. That's not so much what I worry about. The town is bordered by two busy highways with a train that runs about 5 times a day in the middle. I more worry about her getting hurt and no one knowing.

Quoting Anonymous:

My 8 year old is allowed to walk to the library with her 11 year old brother 2 miles away so yeah I dont see the problem...do you know its actually very rare for a child to be abducted or molested by a stranger?

balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I wouldn't worry so much about the 6 blocks away as much as the "I don't really care how far away she's wandered" attitude. 

You could always talk to the 8 yr. old about things like stranger danger or what to do if someone tries something. Just casually like you probably chit chat on the way to/from places. And let her know that she can always tell you things - no judgment, just advice for her or a hug. 

reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I only text because I wanted to make sure she was really allowed that far, not just the roommate not paying attention. I would NEVER question her rules. But I can't help worrying.

Quoting Anonymous:

Myob

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)