Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Trayvon Martin/Zimmerman Case is NOT about Race!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM
  • 1 Replies

It is not about race! It was never about race!

His death wasn’t about race, guns, or your pet issue. It was about misjudgment and overreaction—exactly what we’re doing now to the verdict.

"It wasn’t OK. It was stupid and dangerous. It led to the unnecessary death of an innocent young man. It happened because two people—their minds clouded by stereotypes that went well beyond race—assumed the worst about one another and acted in haste. If you want to prevent the next Trayvon Martin tragedy, learn from their mistakes. Don’t paint the world in black and white. Don’t declare the whole justice system racist, or blame every gun death on guns, or confuse acquittal with vindication. And the next time you see somebody who looks like a punk or a pervert, hold your fire."

This article explains it much more eloquently than I could. But it is true.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/frame_game/2013/07/trayvon_martin_verdict_racism_hate_crimes_prosecution_and_other_overreactions.html

I pray that in a week we are not obsessing over it anymore. I have been asked so many times by my white friends how I feel about it. They all were suprised at my response when I said it wasn't about race.

Now it is time to MOVE ON. Sigh... Rant OVER.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I agree. Completely. I wouldn't care if TM was neon orange. I would still feel the same. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)