Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Racist Doctor doesn't understand what he did wrong!

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM
  • 51 Replies

A doctor diagnosed a black woman complaining of back pain with ghetto booty. When confronted he explained he was just trying to use easy language instead of technical so she would be sure to understand.

http://nj1015.com/ghetto-boody-diagnosis-gets-tennessee-doctor-in-hot-water-endearing-or-insulting-poll/

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
couture-mommy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Lmmfao
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Is it bad that I laughed?  

Rbrown72707
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:37 AM

He was stupid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM
This is so ridiculous.
momaof8
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM

but how would you feel? This was a real scenario.  How would you react?

Quoting Anonymous:

This is so ridiculous.

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:46 AM

ROFL, that doctor is an idiot...

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I hope not, I did too!! What a fool!

Quoting mommytoeandb:

Is it bad that I laughed?  

lilygracesmoma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Wooow. LOL
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I would laugh. People are so overly sensitive these days.

Quoting momaof8:

but how would you feel? This was a real scenario.  How would you react?

Quoting Anonymous:

This is so ridiculous.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Nonsense.   He not only knew what he was doing wrong, he was talking down to a woman he assumed was stupid.

So.   FOUR  items.   One - using insulting words in front of a woman, and two, assuming that she was too stupid to understand a more intelligent explanation.

Three - assuming he could bullshit his way out of the situation when a complaint was made.

FOUR - probably the wrong diagnosis.   Did he xray?   Did he do anything other than just look at her?  Lower back curve rarely is the cause of the pain.   People vary a great deal in how much lower back curve they have and the amount of curve isn't always where pain comes from.

Some people have more curve to the lower back - and that is not always all due to the actual bones of the spine.  Much of it may simply be due to how the body tissues around the spine are arranged.  

One really has to xray a spine to be sure of how the bones are sitting in there.  But even xrays aren't absolute indicators of where the pain comes from - some people have lousy looking xrays and no pain.

If he's a stupid doctor,or is prejudiced, he may not be aware of the different normal pain free shapes spines can take.

I very often have to speak to people who I am sure don't know a lot of medical lingo - people of all races.  Not everyone has a knowledge of medical terms.

The POLITE thing to do is never assume that a person you are conversing with knows any specialized terms you might use.  MOST doctors spend a lot of time thinking about the respectful way to convey their information.

There is ALWAYS a respectful way to explain these concepts.

Lordosis is probably the easiest word in the medical lexicon to explain.   Just get a scrap piece of paper and a pen, and draw a curve.

For another example, 'How long have you had this pain?   Oh....and did it start when you did something in particular, like lift or....?   Hm.....From your xray, I wonder if you have too much curve to your lower back.  The spine is normally curved, but several things can push a spine past its limit.  

The key is usually that something is putting a strain on the spine.   Work, having kids, arthritis, or sometimes, excess weight.   What sort of work do you do?  Lots of standing?     

With that in mind,  I'd like to try a few very simple things first.   That's my job as a doctor - to try the simplest most straightforward thing first.   Let's relieve your pain, but also start to balance the muscles through physical therapy.  Muscles being strong are what protect your spine.   Do you have to stand  or lift a lot at work?   Okay...then let's....'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured