Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some of the BF moms are scaring me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 220 Replies

I tried to BF with ds but due to issues it didn't work out very well and I had to suppliment with formula and EP. I pumped for 5 months and he was bottle fed between my milk and formula. Finally I quit pumping.

I'm in the BF moms group and I've been seeing post lately about babies wanting to eat for an hr or so. Some saying it takes longer than that. THAT SCARES ME!... I love DS and wanted him full but call me selfish if you want... I need a little me time! No, not time for me to be kid free, but I have a 3 yr old also. I need to take a shower and do housework. I work from home so having her attached for an hr plus won't be possible. Ds nursed for 20 mins. Until recently I never heard of babies nursing that long :(

I've said I'm 100% comitted to BF bc I'd like to avoid formula. Yes, the health benifits of BF but also the cost. If she would take regular formula it wouldn't be bad but if she happens to need Nutramigen IDK if I can afford that. Ok, no I would find ways to afford it but ds's formula was $40 a month...Nutramigen would be like double that....

anyways point of this post is I'm starting to freak out over BF.... DD isn't due until September.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Yogamom08
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM
15 moms liked this
Babies want to eat that long for the first few weeks to regulate your supply. I admit, the first two months are challenging to say the very least! But once you get past that, breastfeeding is a breeze! My little one is 15 weeks and I can't tell you how easy it is just to just whip a boob out and stick it in her mouth. Now it takes her about 15 minutes to eat and she goes much longer between meals. Now that she has found her hands, she only comfort nurses before going to bed for the night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM
3 moms liked this
When I attempted to breast feed my adopted son it regularly took him an hour plus to breastfeed; and half the time he wasn't successful. I only did it for 1 month before I just started pumping for all our sanity. But I will say that those hours were the calmest; most...amazing hours I have ever experienced. Good luck!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Why would she need expensive formula?
My dd ate for 45 minutes out of every hour for months. You just have to let stuff go or supplement.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

2 of my 5 kids would stay on the boob for that long, but i think it was more comfort than anything else.  i'm not an expert, but i imagine that actively sucking for an hour would completely exhaust both mama and baby.  

try not to get freaked out just yet!!  most babies are more efficient than that.  3 of my kids would eat for 6-7 minutes at a time.  maybe you'll have one like that!!!

(and i don't think anyone would call you selfish.....no one could nurse for an entire hour and then be ready to nurse again within 2 hours)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Not all babies are like that. Neither of mine ever ate for much more than ten minutes. The only times it was longer was when they were really young, the first week or two, and they'd fall asleep while eating.
Yogamom08
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:54 AM
6 moms liked this
Try wearing your baby if you need a free hand to get stuff done.

I have a 4 year old, so I did a lot of breast feeding multi-tasking. You just have to know, it won't be like that forever! I promise, it's worth it.

With my son, I supplemented with formula from the very start and was done by the time he was 4 months. My new baby has been exclusively breast fed, and I am so glad I stuck with it this time!!

You can do it :) it does take commitment and sacrifice, and there is a learning curve, but it is definitely worth it!!!
legobaby
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM
My first was that way but not my second.
MrsErdos2011
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Formula or or breastmilk, doesn't matter either way. Babies still need to eat a lot the first few weeks of their lives because they aren't getting consant nutrion from you anymore.  When a baby is born your body doesn't know how many babies are/were in your womb so it makes enough to feed 3-4 babies, just in case.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I'm just thinking worse case scenario. If she did need it it's expensive. Hopefully if I had to use formula she would use the regular formula which isn't too high.

Quoting mem82:

Why would she need expensive formula?

My dd ate for 45 minutes out of every hour for months. You just have to let stuff go or supplement.

Benjamins-mama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM
3 moms liked this

I exclusively breastfed my youngest for a year.   i fed on demand and I still had time to take a shower or housework.  do it while the baby sleeps.    i mean even with formula you are holding the baby feeding it  unless you are lazy and have something propping it up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)