Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some of the BF moms are scaring me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I tried to BF with ds but due to issues it didn't work out very well and I had to suppliment with formula and EP. I pumped for 5 months and he was bottle fed between my milk and formula. Finally I quit pumping.

I'm in the BF moms group and I've been seeing post lately about babies wanting to eat for an hr or so. Some saying it takes longer than that. THAT SCARES ME!... I love DS and wanted him full but call me selfish if you want... I need a little me time! No, not time for me to be kid free, but I have a 3 yr old also. I need to take a shower and do housework. I work from home so having her attached for an hr plus won't be possible. Ds nursed for 20 mins. Until recently I never heard of babies nursing that long :(

I've said I'm 100% comitted to BF bc I'd like to avoid formula. Yes, the health benifits of BF but also the cost. If she would take regular formula it wouldn't be bad but if she happens to need Nutramigen IDK if I can afford that. Ok, no I would find ways to afford it but ds's formula was $40 a month...Nutramigen would be like double that....

anyways point of this post is I'm starting to freak out over BF.... DD isn't due until September.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM
It didnt work that way for ds. My issue was that my milk didnt come in for 10 days.

I know babies eat often but it never took ds an hr to eat. The hr + is scaring me.

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Formula or or breastmilk, doesn't matter either way. Babies still need to eat a lot the first few weeks of their lives because they aren't getting consant nutrion from you anymore.  When a baby is born your body doesn't know how many babies are/were in your womb so it makes enough to feed 3-4 babies, just in case.

Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM
My first was like that, but my second only nursed for 30-45 minutes. It got shorter over time though.
SWasson
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM
6 moms liked this

You'll have the baby, you'll see what happens, and then you'll make your decisions based on your personal situation, rather than on what some stranger on the internet says you should do.

Worrying about this now will get you nowhere but upset.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM
They eat a lot in the first six to eight weeks. Then during growth spurts.

Just know that after that, they get more efficient at nursing, and its not too bad. You can baby wear and nurse your little one.

I get it. I really do. I have four kids, and its hard to nurse them when you have older kids. But dishes can wait. Let some stuff slide. This isn't forever. In the grand scheme of things, even if your baby nurses 24/7, you have to realize that one year isn't forever.
I really suggest a sling. Those things are awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I have blue cross blue shield insurance and I get my DS Nutramigen through that.  I had to go through hoops and have him evaluated by a gastro doc but it is well worth it. Nutramigin is 35.00 a can. I pay 50.00$ co pay for one months supply

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Most babies don't nurse for an hour plus. And if they did, it would only last a couple of months, then they get more efficient at nursing. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meg0620
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:13 AM
My son always nursed for about 10 minutes, even from birth. The hospital staff thought i was a dumbass and said he needs to nurse longer. Hello, i can't force him to nurse more, he's done!
Babies that nurse that long are usually comfort nursing. At that point i introduced a pacifier.
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Lol you are being a worrywart mama. Relax. Quit worrying about something that might happen and focus on what is happening. You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish if you apply your energy on getting things done instead of worrying about what could happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsErdos2011
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM

baby may not be actually eating but just sucking. The way to tell is listen for swallowing sounds, a soft 'eh'.  Milk is there but in the form of colostrum then when your milk 'comes in' its just your milk maturing to fit baby's needs.

Quoting Anonymous:

It didnt work that way for ds. My issue was that my milk didnt come in for 10 days.

I know babies eat often but it never took ds an hr to eat. The hr + is scaring me.

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Formula or or breastmilk, doesn't matter either way. Babies still need to eat a lot the first few weeks of their lives because they aren't getting consant nutrion from you anymore.  When a baby is born your body doesn't know how many babies are/were in your womb so it makes enough to feed 3-4 babies, just in case.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Think of it this way. It takes time for baby to learn how to nurse. Once they learn, they get better at it and it doesn't take as much time.
It's easier to nurse than bottle feed in the long run.
And you have to feed your baby when they are hungry either way. You still have to hold your baby to feed them, even if you bottle and formula feed him or her. Why not do the best for them and give them the perfect food for them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN