Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some of the BF moms are scaring me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I tried to BF with ds but due to issues it didn't work out very well and I had to suppliment with formula and EP. I pumped for 5 months and he was bottle fed between my milk and formula. Finally I quit pumping.

I'm in the BF moms group and I've been seeing post lately about babies wanting to eat for an hr or so. Some saying it takes longer than that. THAT SCARES ME!... I love DS and wanted him full but call me selfish if you want... I need a little me time! No, not time for me to be kid free, but I have a 3 yr old also. I need to take a shower and do housework. I work from home so having her attached for an hr plus won't be possible. Ds nursed for 20 mins. Until recently I never heard of babies nursing that long :(

I've said I'm 100% comitted to BF bc I'd like to avoid formula. Yes, the health benifits of BF but also the cost. If she would take regular formula it wouldn't be bad but if she happens to need Nutramigen IDK if I can afford that. Ok, no I would find ways to afford it but ds's formula was $40 a month...Nutramigen would be like double that....

anyways point of this post is I'm starting to freak out over BF.... DD isn't due until September.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM

mine nursed that long...i just wore a sling and continued on with my day...no point in letting breastfeeding get in your way

Kmary
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM

You won't know until baby is here.  My oldest did often nurse for about an hour in the very beginning (it gets shorter generally as they get older) but my next two never nursed that long.  I have a 4 week old right now and she is a champ at breastfeeding!  Nurses both sides in about 20 minutes at this young, goes at least 3 hours between feedings, sleeps 6+ hours at night straight and is putting on weight great.  My older 2 NEVER were like that until several months in.  You just never know.  Every baby is different.   Give it a try!  And worst case scenario, if it's making you crazy, supplement.  I'm a huge bf'ing advocate, but your child won't be scarred for life if they have a little formula. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I worked with the la leche consultant ... He was getting some then nothing. He would suck and then his mouth was very dry. All he did was cry after day 4.

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

baby may not be actually eating but just sucking. The way to tell is listen for swallowing sounds, a soft 'eh'.  Milk is there but in the form of colostrum then when your milk 'comes in' its just your milk maturing to fit baby's needs.

Quoting Anonymous:

It didnt work that way for ds. My issue was that my milk didnt come in for 10 days.

I know babies eat often but it never took ds an hr to eat. The hr + is scaring me.

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Formula or or breastmilk, doesn't matter either way. Babies still need to eat a lot the first few weeks of their lives because they aren't getting consant nutrion from you anymore.  When a baby is born your body doesn't know how many babies are/were in your womb so it makes enough to feed 3-4 babies, just in case.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Mine took longer i couldnt even take a bathroom break... It was tough but she wasnt gaining weigjt so im doing the same back and forth betwren breastmilk and formula, i breastfeed her sometimes, at times thats the only way she will go to sleep *sigh :/
Talienas
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM
An hour? That's insanity. After 8-10 minutes I'd switch sides. Another 8-10 and done. You have to train your breasts and baby. That's how you build supply and demand.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM

quit scaring yourself talking to moms who have horror stories about it....and  take everyone's story with a grain of salt..not all babies are the same when it comes to nursing....and if you are successful at EBF, there is no need for formula..yes, nursing WILL be hard at first, make sure you have LOTS of support, and join La Leche League

erikadi
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I can see why you are freaked out. Breast feed as much as you can with your daughter. This is about what works for your family and not anybody else. There is nothing else wanting me time and to spend time with your 3 year old and doing what else needs to be done around the house. Some breast milk is better than none. If you have to formula also it is not the end of the world. 

angevil53
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM
If you babywear with a sling you can go hands free. Ds and i are going on 17wks! Yes it's challenging sometimes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM

This and the women in that group tend to be "all or nothing" so I wouldn't read or take their advice.  Just wait and see what happens and adjust accordingly.

Quoting SWasson:

You'll have the baby, you'll see what happens, and then you'll make your decisions based on your personal situation, rather than on what some stranger on the internet says you should do.

Worrying about this now will get you nowhere but upset.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM

make sure you find a doctor that knows what s/he is talking about.. if they start to ask you to pump so they can find out how much baby is getting, rather than looking at babies growth and diaper count, then get rid of them. 

When they look at growth, make sure they use to right growth chart.. 

And last, the first couple of months, babies nurse on demand.. that could be 20 minutes up to an hour per feeding.. or more.. don't try to regulate baby, let them go with the what they need..  

don't use the pump to tell you how much baby needs... although pumping is fine, if you can (not every woman can pump). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)