Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some of the BF moms are scaring me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I tried to BF with ds but due to issues it didn't work out very well and I had to suppliment with formula and EP. I pumped for 5 months and he was bottle fed between my milk and formula. Finally I quit pumping.

I'm in the BF moms group and I've been seeing post lately about babies wanting to eat for an hr or so. Some saying it takes longer than that. THAT SCARES ME!... I love DS and wanted him full but call me selfish if you want... I need a little me time! No, not time for me to be kid free, but I have a 3 yr old also. I need to take a shower and do housework. I work from home so having her attached for an hr plus won't be possible. Ds nursed for 20 mins. Until recently I never heard of babies nursing that long :(

I've said I'm 100% comitted to BF bc I'd like to avoid formula. Yes, the health benifits of BF but also the cost. If she would take regular formula it wouldn't be bad but if she happens to need Nutramigen IDK if I can afford that. Ok, no I would find ways to afford it but ds's formula was $40 a month...Nutramigen would be like double that....

anyways point of this post is I'm starting to freak out over BF.... DD isn't due until September.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Replies (211-220):
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

No she isn't.  She is being honest and that is okay.  Bf'ing isn't for everyone and that is why it is a choice.

Quoting aeroslove:

Op you're a selfish bitch. it doesnt work that way. whatever the baby wants YOU give.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Well I EBF'd #4 and not one single thing about it can I even think of as a wonderful time.  LOL!!  Actually I still nurse and he is now 17mo's and it still is a pain in the butt. 

Quoting volsmomma22:

Breastfeeding is a wonderfull relationship. My little one will stay latched on like that during growth spurts to boost my milk supply most of which she isnt truly eating but continues using me as a paci her normal eating time is 15 to 20 minutes. I highly recommend breastfeeding its such a wonderful time and so much healthier for you both and remember its easier to try bf'ing than regretting it later and trying to get a supply in then

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM

No not everyone can or wants to wear their child.  Honestly that would suck the life out of me.  Oh and I EBF'd #4 but no way in heck I was comfortable baby wearing I actually loathe it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting almondpigeon:

2 of my 5 kids would stay on the boob for that long, but i think it was more comfort than anything else.  i'm not an expert, but i imagine that actively sucking for an hour would completely exhaust both mama and baby.  

try not to get freaked out just yet!!  most babies are more efficient than that.  3 of my kids would eat for 6-7 minutes at a time.  maybe you'll have one like that!!!

(and i don't think anyone would call you selfish.....no one could nurse for an entire hour and then be ready to nurse again within 2 hours)

Of ocurse you can. It's only in the first few weeks anyhow.  you WEAR the baby and do what needs doing,

For 4-6 weeks the housework can be done by the other parent.  Or take the $480 you won't have to spend on formula and hire someone to clean for that 4-6 weeks.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM

This isn't exactly true.  They have to work harder to get breastmilk than from a bottle.  So it takes far longer to breastfeed than bottle feed.  It is just as bonding with a bottle or breast.  I have done both and I found nothing enjoyable about EBF'ing.  I regret not having switched to formula by 12wks or so.  Now I am still nursing a 17mo old and still nope not my favorite thing and nothing I enjoy. 

Quoting monkeymommy1:

personally I would rather breast feed for an hour than bottle feed for an hour- either way they are going to eat the same length of time. I love breast feeding! it's peaceful and a very good bonding experience. enjoy every second of it! you can get to the other things when you are done. You will never regret time spent with your child. but you may regret time not spent with your child. most of the time they don't eat that long anyway. and if they do it's time well spent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Everyone keeps talking about baby wearing. I can't. I'd love to, but I have a punched nerve in my neck. The extra pull (even if my back has majority of the weight) aggravates it. I end up with a burning shooting pain and my right arm numb.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:I agree with babywearing. I have three kids under the age of six and sometimes you just have to forego that shower or doing the dishes so you can give her the breast. In the first few weeks it is essential to nurse on demand so she can get what she needs and your body can regulate your supply to her demands. Use a sling or wrap to get things done around the house. Ask others to help with your older child occasionally so you can get a shower or shave your legs or whatever while the baby sleeps. And how long your LO will nurse really depends on how strong a suck she has and how good your let-down is. Both my girls only nursed for about 5 minutes every hour or two in the beginning because of strong latch/suck and my hyperactive let-down. It was either eat fast or choke so they learned to eat fast. It gets better. If they nurse for longer it is usually just comfort nursing after the breast is drained. But try not to worry about it too much, you don't want to mentally defeat yourself before you even start!! Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM
I want to give her the benefits of it. I don't want to spend money on formula.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you don't want to BF, then don't.  Nobody really cares.  And nobody will know your personal business unless you open your trap and tell them.  Who cares?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:18 AM
I hope this is my case!!! Lol

Quoting celticgodess:

I said the same thing!  I was blessed with first DD who ate in 20 minutes or less.  Terrified of DD2, but I can literally go back to sleep 15 minutes after getting up at night and she is just as awesome during the day!!  Fear not :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Sorry, I don't see it that way. Any mother who says they don't need time to themselves is lying. Everyone I know wants or needs a little time alone just for them. I'm not talking going out for drinks or partying. None of that has been done in 6years and youngest ds is . Hell I'm talking about letting the baby play alone while input clothes in the washer, or clean the bathroom. I'm sure you are a super mom right?

Quoting aeroslove:

Op you're a selfish bitch. it doesnt work that way. whatever the baby wants YOU give.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I have been able to keep
Up with this post and all replies but this reply seems to the only one about being selfish. Lol.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

No she isn't.  She is being honest and that is okay.  Bf'ing isn't for everyone and that is why it is a choice.

Quoting aeroslove:

monkeymommy1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Sometimes it does take longer to breastfeed, but the fact that bottle feeding is faster also means more painful gas bubbles for baby cause some bottles come out too fast and catch a lot of air. Which may mean more sleepless nights for both baby and mommy. I personally hated switching to bottles, it was less convenient, more messy, much more expensive, and kept me up more at night. Also it made their breath and poop smell worse. And made them spit up more often. Plus it didn't help that my babies all hated the flavor of bottle milk lol. But to each his own. wink mini

Quoting fullxbusymom:

This isn't exactly true.  They have to work harder to get breastmilk than from a bottle.  So it takes far longer to breastfeed than bottle feed.  It is just as bonding with a bottle or breast.  I have done both and I found nothing enjoyable about EBF'ing.  I regret not having switched to formula by 12wks or so.  Now I am still nursing a 17mo old and still nope not my favorite thing and nothing I enjoy. 

Quoting monkeymommy1:

personally I would rather breast feed for an hour than bottle feed for an hour- either way they are going to eat the same length of time. I love breast feeding! it's peaceful and a very good bonding experience. enjoy every second of it! you can get to the other things when you are done. You will never regret time spent with your child. but you may regret time not spent with your child. most of the time they don't eat that long anyway. and if they do it's time well spent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)