Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some of the BF moms are scaring me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I tried to BF with ds but due to issues it didn't work out very well and I had to suppliment with formula and EP. I pumped for 5 months and he was bottle fed between my milk and formula. Finally I quit pumping.

I'm in the BF moms group and I've been seeing post lately about babies wanting to eat for an hr or so. Some saying it takes longer than that. THAT SCARES ME!... I love DS and wanted him full but call me selfish if you want... I need a little me time! No, not time for me to be kid free, but I have a 3 yr old also. I need to take a shower and do housework. I work from home so having her attached for an hr plus won't be possible. Ds nursed for 20 mins. Until recently I never heard of babies nursing that long :(

I've said I'm 100% comitted to BF bc I'd like to avoid formula. Yes, the health benifits of BF but also the cost. If she would take regular formula it wouldn't be bad but if she happens to need Nutramigen IDK if I can afford that. Ok, no I would find ways to afford it but ds's formula was $40 a month...Nutramigen would be like double that....

anyways point of this post is I'm starting to freak out over BF.... DD isn't due until September.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Yeah, hour feedings suck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I have 3 kids and all were exclusiverly breast fed.   My oldest nursed for 16 months, middle until I threw her off hte nip at 2 and the youngest about 18 months.   None of them ever nursed that long.   

BCauseImAwesome
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Dont be so worried. My son nursed for twenty minutes of every hour. It was no big deal. Every kid is different, they are not all marathon nursers. And even if they did stay on that long, you still have plenty of time to do what needs to be done.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I think mine did that during growth spurts.  I read a lot of books and let the house get messy.

niki_hubbard
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Yes, a baby may take a while to eat. But that is usually in the first few months. It does not last long... and is great bonding time. 

However, your baby may not eat like that. odd did, but ydd is done in five to ten minutes. 

Nursing turns out to be such a short time in your life, there is time for "me time" later. (that is how I kee going, lol)

sissy502
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

BF, DS, EP in the first sentance?

I stopped reading right there.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM
It's usually just during the growth spurt times. I'm sure someone has a list of those times. Get a nursing pillow and a comfy place to sit. That should be over within the first few months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

It's part of motherhood. Those phases of eating all the time are usually during growth spurts. I had one formula fed baby with colic, and one extended breastfed baby. I would pick nursing my child for an hour at a time every couple of hours over having no way to comfort my screaming colicky formula fed baby any day of the week!

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I think it's just a new baby thing. I'm feeding right now and she's been latched for around 40 mins. The only time it bothers me is if we have somewhere to be.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Quoting sissy502:

BF, DS, EP in the first sentance?

I stopped reading right there.

Breast feed, darling son, (I'm not sure what ep is, maybing extended pumping?) anyway, CM (cafemom) uses tons of shorthand words, you should learn them if you plan to stick around.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)