Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some of the BF moms are scaring me

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I tried to BF with ds but due to issues it didn't work out very well and I had to suppliment with formula and EP. I pumped for 5 months and he was bottle fed between my milk and formula. Finally I quit pumping.

I'm in the BF moms group and I've been seeing post lately about babies wanting to eat for an hr or so. Some saying it takes longer than that. THAT SCARES ME!... I love DS and wanted him full but call me selfish if you want... I need a little me time! No, not time for me to be kid free, but I have a 3 yr old also. I need to take a shower and do housework. I work from home so having her attached for an hr plus won't be possible. Ds nursed for 20 mins. Until recently I never heard of babies nursing that long :(

I've said I'm 100% comitted to BF bc I'd like to avoid formula. Yes, the health benifits of BF but also the cost. If she would take regular formula it wouldn't be bad but if she happens to need Nutramigen IDK if I can afford that. Ok, no I would find ways to afford it but ds's formula was $40 a month...Nutramigen would be like double that....

anyways point of this post is I'm starting to freak out over BF.... DD isn't due until September.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Replies (41-50):
Mandallyn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I don't think that's worth freaking out about.  CM is a super small percentage of BFing Mom's in the world.  I've never had any of my BFing babies (3) latch on for more than 20-30 minutes.  I've had them cluster feed because my milk needed to increase, though.  It's not something worth worrying about now.  When she's born you try and if it doesn't work out then at least you tried and it ends up being not worth all that worry.  

sissy502
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope.... I just ignore the lazy typists most of the time. How hard is it to type out "son"? 

It's hard enough keeping up with text talk .... anywhere else BF is best-friend or boy friend.

I have enough of a hard time remembering my children's slang. lol ... not going to bother with CM slang.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sissy502:

BF, DS, EP in the first sentance?

I stopped reading right there.

Breast feed, darling son, (I'm not sure what ep is, maybing extended pumping?) anyway, CM (cafemom) uses tons of shorthand words, you should learn them if you plan to stick around.

Greenenvy
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM
That just goes with the territory. You will need to let her nurse for as long as she wants as that is what regulates your supply. But, it won't ALWAYS be like that, in the early weeks it probably will be and then through periods of growth spurts and illness and such. You just have to go with it. I learned very quickly how to do everything else with DS attached and nursing. I had twins that were 2 when he was born and you just find a way. I still took a bath every night because that was something that I refused to give up. Most nights my DH would just hold him and try to comfort him if he got fussy while I was bathing but some nights that wasn't possible so my son nursed in the tub while I took a bath and I just bathed him at the same time for convenience purposes. Just take it one day at a time, remember it won't last forever and try to get good at doing things one handed or using a baby sling.
KatieFlower
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Comfort nursing. If I take my daughter to the movies or watch a movie at home she will comfort nurse through the whole thing
KatieFlower
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
And also just try it out and do your best, in the end however baby is getting fed is all that matters!
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM
This. My secnd and third were super fast! I consider myself very probreastfeeding(bf my kids for 15mo, 27mo, and dd is currently 16mo) however there are moms in that group that scare ME!

Quoting legobaby:

My first was that way but not my second.

newmom121812
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM
My baby wasnt like that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaggieO
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

My son was exclusively BF until after he started solid foods.  I kept my sanity by pumping so he could have bottles as well as the boob.  I don't remember hour long feedings but I do remember my pediatrican telling me to make sure he got 2 boob feedings each time so that he would not need to feed as often. My kiddo was starting to want the boob every hour other wise.

lovelychaos13
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

this might be long bear with me.

i had bad milk allergies as a baby and until i was about 10-11. my mom stopped  stopped bf me at 6 months and stuck me on formula hence thats when they found out my allergy/intolerance (strange that all my siblings she bf til they were 2 but not me) well after hospital visits and me nearly dying at 9 months drs sorted it out, my family being large and poor (but not on food stamps, too proud)  the cost of nutramigen was crazy even back then, they got what they could, then 2 weeks later, myseriously  my dad came home to see 2 stacks of formula about 5 ft high each! they never knew who got it and dropped it off but were so happy  , to them it was a miricle. sadly i loved milk so still through the years i stole my litte brother bottle, got up at night and chugged a whole gallon ect ect, when a bit older they  got the lactose intolerance pills i could take before eating dairy. then i just grew out of it!.

my 1st baby, hahahaha yeah she was a super slow eater plus horrible latch problems and barely any support, i gave up bf due to lack of milk production and all that. my 2nd baby housever did do about 15 mins per side  she was a natural to it, but then i had panceratiis so bad 2 weeks after birth that i nearly died, spent over a week unconsious in the hospital hopped up on tons of meds and very strong pain meds, then  out 2 weeks still on tons of meds, then surgury and meds for 2 weeks, i tried to pump  in the hospital but id passout wake up the next day with the pump still attached to my boob... by thre time the whole mess was over my  milk was pretty much gone.

each baby can be different, they are slow eaters and their are fast eaters, some times your let down is a bit slower and sometimes with a baby your let down goes crazy fast and litterally floods out  more than baby can swallow!

i totally get  that you want somewhat you time, time to shower without being interupted even once, go to the bathroom in peace, and  start a cleaning task and not have to stop repeatedly through it, just start and get it all done and over with.

butterflyk1ssez
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

i have a 4 year old and a 2 month old. i have accomplished almost everything i needed to do during the day. 2 pieces of advice: get a tablet and put educational games on it for 3 y.o. while the baby eats and unvest in a good quality swing or wrap to nurse in. boba wrap or moby or a sling like maya

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)