Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Saying the "N" word at work

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:44 AM
  • 164 Replies
1 mom liked this

I work with people with developmental disabilities.  Some of them are high functioning and have pretty ...unsavory...behaviors. 

Anyway, one of the upper level adminstrators was describing a behavior that one of the people we serve engaged in and why she got kicked out of her rental place.  As the admin was describing what the lady did, she said, "She called someone a N****r while she was out in her front yard" and actually said the full word.

I was totally taken off guard. The only person I ever hear actually say that word is my father and I only talk to him a few times per year. I was shocked that an upper level admin said the full word without batting an eye.  I hate to say it, but it made me feel like she says it all of the time.  If I ever even thought of saying that word, especially at work, I would have been visibly uncomfortable.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TrouserMouse
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM

BUMP!

imakehimscream
by He screams on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this
Nothing surprises me these days. Its sad really
alexsmommy2010
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM
How long has she worked with the person? I work in the dd field also and can have some say some wild stuff that I've repeated without batting an eye just because I've worked there so long.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM
5 moms liked this

if she was just quoting what someone else said & not actually using the word in a deragatory manner, i would let it go.  i think i would be shocked if i heard someone actually say the word, but i don't think she was being out of line.

SWasson
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:53 AM
25 moms liked this

The administrator was explaining what happened, just as a lawyer would in court. Adults are supposed to be able to handle unpleasant information like adults.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:53 AM
9 moms liked this

Well if you watched Piers Morgan on CNN the other day, you would have seen Trayvon Martins friend...the chick that testified at the trial say that the N word is just fine for anyone to say...that it just means "a man" and anyone can say it.  Seriously...yes she did.

Apparently no one got the memo to Paula Deen or the rest of the country on that.

IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM

my mom works in the school system and upper level use it more often than you think.

Cairasmom629
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Rachel Jeantel said the N***A word means just a man not the N***ER word.... 

Quoting Anonymous:

Well if you watched Piers Morgan on CNN the other day, you would have seen Trayvon Martins friend...the chick that testified at the trial say that the N word is just fine for anyone to say...that it just means "a man" and anyone can say it.  Seriously...yes she did.

Apparently no one got the memo to Paula Deen or the rest of the country on that.

LNLMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Awkward! LOL...Some things you just don't say at work..like "f*g" or even "Bitch" IMO, it's not very professional.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM
4 moms liked this

There is no difference between an A on the end or ER on the end...it is the same word and it means the same thing.  And to most people it means something really bad.

She had no business getting up there and spewing that ignorant crap.  

Quoting Cairasmom629:

Rachel Jeantel said the N***A word means just a man not the N***ER word.... 

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN